Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cannot get HP Envy PC to recognize the built in SD Card Reader.  Also, when I plug in a device containing an SD Card to the ANY of the USB Ports on the machine, Windows 10 returns an error message saying the USB Device is not recognized; and the device plugged in (in this case, a game camera) is set to some error mode which requires a device reset.  Finally, an ANKER SD Card Reader containing an SD Card also fails to be recognized by any USB Port.

Drivers are up to date, and as usual, Windows reports everything working just great.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

first off , SD cards are used in vast things

those vast thing in fact many use a custom format only used on THIS camera. or device.

and cannot be read in w10. (sony camera's and others infamous)

test the SD card on other PCs and see that. same thing, easy,.

on my oldest CAMs I must only read the SD card using the USB cable directly to the camera. and even then special camera software just to do that.  (newer camera are better) an then there is the issues of FAT< FAT32, limits.

-4GB partition limit.  how do camera makers (huge new fast VIDEO cameras do that with huge 4k Videos)

IDK what they all do , does any one?  but if wise would use NTFS (fails on mac) or use extFAT.  or custom formats.

what I am saying to you is ask your camera maker for help.

or erase the SD card, using DISK MANAGER  , and format it now to make our PC happy, and set a drive letter to it next.

warning #2  some USB devices old fail in w10, new, in fact vast devices. 2010 and back or more. fail. years matter.

My USB to SD adapter shows up in device manager as dis kdrives, mine is SD 42GB fat 32.  and in disk manager,

it shows up there if SD inserted or not, if fails this part, the USB device is now supported in w10, ask maker for help.

it most or the SD is bad or formatted wrong;/alien or is scrambled by removing it not USB ejected.

try all use be ports

make sure  USB ports not  dead in device manager.

check in disk manager. always.  if not there the device is dead, or not supported.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

test the adapter in 2nd PC.

test the adapter with a new in the box, SD,  formatted with DISK MANAGER and set a drive letter.

if only SD is bad, then it is or is formatted wrong or scrambled.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have access to "other PCs," only the Chromebook and a couple of iPads.  I suspect the ANKER Card Reader I've tried is defective, as it will not work on either the PC or the Chromebook.

Disk Management is fine, but it must first recognize that a disk (SD Card) is present.  It does not.

As regards incompatibilities between Windows 10 and SD Cards and their formats, two questions:

a) This is the SD Card I am trying to read: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J1G261N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Is there any reason, to your knowledge, why this card (hardware) would be incompatible with Windows?

b) I understand that an incompatible format or file structure would not be read by Windows 10, but why would that cause an error such that Windows 10 doesn't even recognize the presence of a disk in the Card Reader?

HP Recommended

Problem solved: the SD Card was defective.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.