Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. 

Due to problems with the photos app on Windows 10 I have resintalled windows a few times. This fixes the problem for a while but now the SD slot is not reading the SD card from my camera. Im sure the little light above the slot used to come on but now it doesnt and when I ask photos app to import from USB slot it doesnt see the card.

Ive tried to instal realtek driver but not sure if Ive found the right driver

The USB slot does not show under drives on the PC.

Can anyone help please?  

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Sorry its an HP desktop 411-9005na

HP Recommended

The support site does not show a 411-9005na.  Does that model have USB ports?

BTW: Windows is setup to not show empty card reader ports on the This PC window

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for your response. When I use find my device from HP diagnostic it finds this (see photo). Sticker on the side says 3cr6010bc4My desktop.PNG

It doesnt see the drive even when I put an SD card in the slot. 

It does have USB ports.

HP Recommended

Reading from the sticker underneath/....

HP Slimline Desktop Model no 411-a005na

HP Recommended

Typically the media card readers run off the USB ports.  Connected directly to the motherboard.  If all other USB ports are working, I would look in device manager to see if there are any problems indicated.

Since this card reader can read numerous media card types, is it possible that the card in question needs to be turned over when inserted?  Just a thought, if Device manager just lend any clues.

Last resort is to try an external card reader - plug a USB card reader into a USB port to see if that can read the media card.

BTW: can't see the photo, yet.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hello thanks for response

The card slot is on the front of the desktop and will only take an SD card. Ive tried numerous SD cards and none work.

Used to work fine.

I inserted card and computer asked me what I wanted to do with it. 

HP Recommended
Spoiler
So when I used to put a card in - the computer would see it as drive and now it doesnt,
What do I need to look for in device manager? 
HP Recommended

Making progress.  So the card reader is working.  "I inserted card and computer asked me what I wanted to do with it. "  Windows keeps track of the response.  When it asks that question, it needs to be answered and tell it to save the answer.  In other words. tell Windows to use the photo app to open the card.

No need to look in Device manager, now.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Sorry I think Ive confused you. Thats what it used to say when I inserted card 

Now it doesnt 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.