Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0066
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the past when I saved a file from the web to a pdf file it was searchable.  But since my new computer and Windows 10 the document is no longer Searchable.  My printer is HP 2035.

Can anyone help me out?  Thanks a bunch,  Uncle Dewey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have found out that the problem exists on Firefox, and Chrome, but not on Internet Explorer.

Thanks for listening,  Uncle Dewey

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Dewey,

Most likely the PDF was originally saved as an image instead of a text file.

If you are using the free Adobe Reader:
(Instructions for the full version of Adobe Acrobat are below)

Open the PDF file in Adobe Reader

Click Edit then Preferences then click Search then Purge Contents then click OK.
It should now be searchable. 

Or...

Open Adobe Acrobat and click Tools then Create PDF then select the PDF the file you want to search.

Once it opens
Click Tools then Enhance Scans.
Then click Recognize Text and "In This File".

Then save changes and you will be able to search it anytime you open it.

Good luck!

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I tried both ideas, but without success--the first idea I need to have a paid for reader.  I'm using the free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader PC..  Also I could have done a better description of where I've been.  Let me restate in quotes:

"I print/save a pdf file, but when opening the file on my desktop the Search function does not work. Another person saved the same file on his computer and sent it to me as an attachment to an email. When opening his version the Search function work. I'm at a loss to know what to do now to correct my version of the file, and I'm hoping someone can steer me in the correct direction.

It used to work before I got a new computer with Windows 10 rather than Windows 7."

Thanks a mil for your interest, Uncle Dewey

HP Recommended

I have found out that the problem exists on Firefox, and Chrome, but not on Internet Explorer.

Thanks for listening,  Uncle Dewey

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.