Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix 860-000 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been reading about a security flaw on my computer. The problem is with the Intel Management Engine software. Intel provided a detection tool that identified my computer as vulnerable. Dell, Lenovo and a host of other manufacturers have provided a fix but I cannot seem to find a patch from HP.

By the way, I was not sure where to post this message on the forum. Please feel free to correct me and I will gladly move it to the proper forum location.

The following is what I have done and where I ended up.

First, I found a link for HP Support on the Intel web site. Here is the link to that site:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025619/software.html

Upon clicking the HP support link, I was directed to this page. Here is the link to that:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05843704

My system appears to be the last link under the "Consumer Desktops" section. It is listed as SP 82271. Here is the link to that ftp download page:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82001-82500/SP82271.exe

This is where I get an error when I click on the ftp download link.

It shows the following yellow triangle error message:

Alert.

550 Failed to change directory.

Also, each time I try to upload a gif image of the error message, I end up having to rewrite my entire post again. So I cannot provide a visual image of the error message.

So..... what is the deal with this supposed security patch?

Does HP really want to protect thier customers or not?

I am extremely disappointed in the level of difficulty in finding this major patch for a serious security flaw in YOUR systems. Then to find out the link to the pastch is bogus is even more disturbing.

I paid good money for this computer (and I also pay more for a security suite to protect my system) only to find that I am vulnerable a remote attack from who knows where. Please show me (in simple terms) how to find and apply this patch so I can protect my system.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @delcarto

Try the patch directly from your PC's support page under the chipset driver section.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-phoenix-860-000-desktop-pc-series/8499708

Intel Platform ME Firmware Update

I clicked on the link and the file downloaded for me.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@delcarto

>>> This is where I get an error when I click on the ftp download link

Please try again or use other computer to download. I've got no problem with it when click to the link:

info.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, @delcarto

Try the patch directly from your PC's support page under the chipset driver section.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-phoenix-860-000-desktop-pc-series/8499708

Intel Platform ME Firmware Update

I clicked on the link and the file downloaded for me.

HP Recommended

OK. that was very quick. Thank you very much.

I never thought to look under Chipset Drivers.

Definitely my mistake.

The file has downloaded and I am about to apply the patch.

I will come back and give you the news of how it went .

Hopefully I can called this a solved problem.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

That was it.

Problem solved.

Thank you Paul.

Again, my lack of patience and ability to overlook the obvious shines through.

Ha ha. One of these days I will hopefully learn to search smarter and not get frustrated.

Happy New Year!!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Happy New Year to you too!

HP Recommended

I too, am having downloading the security patch SP82271.exe from the HP URL provided.

I get the message: "550 Failed to change directory."

I have tried downloading with IE, Firefox, and Chrome with similar results.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if this thread is closed but I do have another question related to this issue.

Since I applied the firmware update, my computer has been running terrible. I'd say its not running half as well as before the update.

My question is if it's possible to roll back the firmware update?

I understand that this would leave my system vulnerable but I am thinking I want better performance as opposed to protection against these hidden and unseen security threats. I never knew they existed prior to all this and I was happy with my systems performance. This entire train of thought may be silly but I can't help but wonder.

Thanks in advance for reading this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.