Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY All-in-One - 27-b235t: Pavilion 65XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My system is an AiO with a second monitor that is connected with HDMI.  2 issues both of which seem to me to have to do with configuration information between the OS and BIOS.  IF the system is on but quiet for a period of time, first windows on the second monitor are moved to the main monitor; second it starts regularly making a noise like a USB device is being plugged in. The noise repeats about every minute or so. Previous AiO systems with similar configurations have not shown these issues.  I can go into more detail, but the OS would not indicate a USB plug in or move windows when the system is not active unless something is confused between the OS and BIOS that tracks configurations. HP support does not like me suggesting where the error might be even though I have already pointed out a previous BIOS bug.  Any ideas from folks? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@condry

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Let me answer your questions, but first note I do checks for updates from windows, HP support assistant, etc.  on a regular basis as well as checking the drivers and other software updates.  So, lets not bother with this level of discussion. 

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?  No this has been a problem since I had the system. In fact my system already had a hardware fix at HP and a BIOS update. 
  • The hardware configuration has not changed.  AiO and external screen HDMI connected) both HP bought new together. I have external storage disk USB 3.1, a USB 3.1 powered hub, printers, and BD drive external.  This has been the hardware configuration from day 1. 
  • No change in settings, again this problem was there at the start. However, since the system had a hardware bug my first focus was on getting it to work at all.  I tried to raise this issue before but the virus hit and support shut down. 
  • As stated, this was noticed as soon as the hardware was fixed by HP and thus there from the beginning. 

So all the updates, including BIOS check were checked and completed on a regular basis.  Moving windows from one screen to another happens when the OS thinks the configuration has changed.  Since there is no change, the likely cause is the OS checks, BIOS does not respond in time, then the OS make adjustments. It is a common UEFI BIOS bug causing the OS to think system configuration changed.  However, the repeated sounds is very strange since it must think to changed and changed back even though there is not system reconfiguration. 

HP Recommended

@condry

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I would hope HP would have a better solution than factory reset that requires restoring all the apps and their setup.  It is not even current since a factory reset will have nothing to do with this level of bug that is not coming from the application level. 

Since you are an HP employee and I am a former Intel employee where the BIOS group reported to me, maybe we can open the conversation between  the BIOS support folks and the OS enablement. 

HP Recommended

@condry

Thank you for posting back. 

As we performed relevant troubleshooting steps and issue persists performing factory recovery will put the computer back to original state in this way we can isolate the issue. If its unknown software related issue then it will be fixed by factory reset. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.