Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About two weeks ago we began to experience distorted sound, laggy video, and mouse movements that were jerky or with freezes or momentary disappearances. I am not sure what component can fail or what driver inadequacies could cause such symptoms in three seperate systems (sound, video, mouse).  Any thoughts as to what I should be looking for?  Thanks.

P.S. ~ The symptoms seem, looking back, to have occurred around the time of a Windows update.  If that is the cause of the problems what can I do about it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi vimy100,

You're very welcome.

I was referring to disconnecting other peripherals such as a printer or any other USB dongles and devices.

No need to remove components attached to the motherboard.

However, sometimes you could have a problem with internal network (NIC or WIFI) devices.

Your PC is about nine years old.

HP does not provide W10 drivers for your system. So you have to rely on Microsoft.

Microsoft is methodically dropping support for older hardware.

You may have to go back to W10 version 1709 if that version was stable. You can also use W7 until 2020.

You ran diagnostics with passing results? PC Doctor is very old. I have not used that program in years.

Your PC was running W10 version 1709 okay and can run W7. Your PC is getting near it's end of life.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings vimy100,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

Did your PC update to W10 version 1803?

It could be a W10 driver problem.

I would start by running HP boot or offline (USB-CD/DVD) diagnostics to check the hardware. Some HPE systems have Vision diagnostics. Some have UEFI diagnostics. Don't know what you have because you have not provided an HP product number.

You can usually get to the diagnostics by tapping "ESC" at boot. Then select Diagnostics from the menu. Run full hardware tests to see what is happening.

If all is good then you may be having a problem with the latest version of W10.

There is a "go back to the previous version window". But this is a temporary solution because Microsoft will push the update to your PC again.

One option is to do the Windows update with only keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Another option is to do a clean W10 version 1803 installation with only the above devices connected to the PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions.  Sorry to be slow to reply ~ very busy and just got back to this now.

The model number is HPE-140f.  Windows 10 ver. 1803 is installed.

I ran the Hardware diagnostic which passed all tests but there was no testing of devices (soundcard, vid controller, mouse/keyboard etc), only cpu core, memory and disk.  The diagnostic type was not identified but said it was Powered by PC Doctor.

Is there a way I can test the devices (soundcard, vid controller, mouse)?  Also, is there a way to discern whether it is a driver issue resulting from the 1803 update and then what can I do about that?

Thanks much ~ Boyd

HP Recommended

Sorry, Grwacz ~ I had printed out your reply and missed the part about updating with only keyboard, mous & monitor.  I am not sure what that means.  Do your mean that the soundcard etc should be removed?  I only have mouse, keyboard and monitor connected at any time to begin with.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi vimy100,

You're very welcome.

I was referring to disconnecting other peripherals such as a printer or any other USB dongles and devices.

No need to remove components attached to the motherboard.

However, sometimes you could have a problem with internal network (NIC or WIFI) devices.

Your PC is about nine years old.

HP does not provide W10 drivers for your system. So you have to rely on Microsoft.

Microsoft is methodically dropping support for older hardware.

You may have to go back to W10 version 1709 if that version was stable. You can also use W7 until 2020.

You ran diagnostics with passing results? PC Doctor is very old. I have not used that program in years.

Your PC was running W10 version 1709 okay and can run W7. Your PC is getting near it's end of life.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks very much, Grwacz.  I appreciate your help.  We will go back to 1709 which was stable.

HP Recommended

Hi vimy100,

You're very welcome.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.