Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-h017c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently my warranty has expired and I am now unable to open Windows from either my Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000 (the key between CTRL and ALT on the left) or when I click on the Windows Icon located at the lower left corner of my screen.  When I click on the key pad, nothing happens at all.  When I attempt to click on the Icon, the Icon turns red, then nothing else happens.  I used to use this to shut down my computer whenever I was done using it, but now I have to right click the Icon in order to do so.  I could also click on this Icon and be able to review any apps that were available for my computer from the apps store.  I can't do that anymore either.  I don't even know where to go to look for the apps now.

Any help that you can provide to get me to be able to use this Icon as it was originally designed would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Ski Gorski

CMDCM(SW) USN Retired

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @SkiGorski,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that the Start menu and task bar is not working properly for you.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

Try following the steps on this MIcrosoft page:  Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana  - windows.microsoft.com

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi there @SkiGorski,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that the Start menu and task bar is not working properly for you.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

Try following the steps on this MIcrosoft page:  Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana  - windows.microsoft.com

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

The key / icon brings up many choices such as news, weather, solitare, photos etc., but clicking on them worked in Texas but not in Florida

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.