Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Touch Smart 610-1100UK
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am unable to start Support Assistant. 

On launch, the Support Assistant logo is displayed and task manager shows HPSF.exe process. After a few seconds, this disappears.

There are no error messages.

I have uninstalled and re-installed latest version of Support Assistant, but this has not changed the symptoms.

Event Viewer shows HPSF.exe error... 

.... HP Error ID: -2146233036   at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods.CreateResetEvent(IntPtr& handle) ......

(plus lots of furher  data, which I can upload or forward if required)

Any ideas how to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @daveiw100,

Thank you for replying,

I understand you are unable to locate HP Recovery manager, In this scenario, There could be a possiblity that the recovery partition is missing or corrupted. Then the only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @daveiw100,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the post that you are having issues with HP Support assistant not working. 

Don't worry, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here

For advanced troubleshooting: Click here

Let me know how that pans out, 

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet,

Thanks for your response, but the post referred to does not seem relevant to my issue.

The post seems to relate to issues installing Suppor Assistant, or error messages.

I do not see an of these in my situation.

I can successfully install Support Assistant, and do not get any error messages when instsalling or  starting.

It just does not successfully start and terminates after a few seconds.

HP Recommended

Hi @daveiw100,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling HP Support assistant and still having the issue. I would suggest here is to create a New user account and check if that helps as this could also be an issue with the computer itself.

You may either create a new user, login with the new user profile to install the printer or Turn off the UAC from the control panel and Restart the PC. 

Here are the steps to configure UAC settings: 

Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings. 

To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK.  

if you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet,

Thanks for your response.

I creaed a new user account, but still have the samr problem. 

I tried un-installing and re-installing Support Assistant again from the new user account, and this does not change the symptoms.

Are there any clues in the HP error information in Event Viewer logs......

HP Error ID: -2146233036   at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods.CreateResetEvent(IntPtr& handle)
   at System.Windows.Input.PenThreadWorker..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Input.PenThreadPool.GetPenThreadForPenContextHelper(PenContext penContext)
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection.UpdateTabletsImpl()
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection.UpdateTablets()
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispLogic.get_WispTabletDevices()
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispLogic.RegisterHwndForInput(InputManager inputManager, PresentationSource inputSource)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndStylusInputProvider..ctor(HwndSource source)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.Initialize(HwndSourceParameters parameters)
   at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindow(Boolean duringShow)
   at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
Message: The type initializer for 'MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods' threw an exception.
StackTrace:   at MS.Win32.Penimc.UnsafeNativeMethods.CreateResetEvent(IntPtr& handle)
   at System.Windows.Input.PenThreadWorker..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Input.PenThreadPool.GetPenThreadForPenContextHelper(PenContext penContext)
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection.UpdateTabletsImpl()
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection.UpdateTablets()
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispTabletDeviceCollection..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispLogic.get_WispTabletDevices()
   at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispLogic.RegisterHwndForInput(InputManager inputManager, PresentationSource inputSource)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndStylusInputProvider..ctor(HwndSource source)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.Initialize(HwndSourceParameters parameters)
   at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindow(Boolean duringShow)
   at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
Source: PresentationCore
InnerException.Message: Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))

Name: HPSF.exe
Version: 08.00.00.00
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Framework\HPSF.exe
Format: en-US
RAM: 3895
Ram Utilization: 50
TargetSite: Boolean CreateResetEvent(IntPtr ByRef)

HP Recommended

Hi @daveiw100,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have tried creating a new User account and still having the issue with HP Support Assistant. I would suggest let's try to uninstall HP Support assistant once done, restart the PC. This time I would suggest you reinstall HP Support assistant from Recovery manager.

Let me know how it goes for further troubleshooting.

Have a great weekend.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet,

Thanks for the reply.

How do I install Support Assistant from "Recovery Manager"

There is a HP_Recovery partition on the system, but most of the folders and files are hidden system files.

I can view these by uncheking "Hide protected operating system files" in Folder Options, but cannot see any option to instsall Support Assistant anywhere in the HP_Recovery partition

Dave

HP Recommended

Jeet,

Forgot to mention in my previous post, but I downloaded the HP Dignostic software for USB, and successfully ran all the system tests and diagnostics. All ran without errors.

Dave

HP Recommended

Hi @daveiw100,

Thank you for replying,

Once you have uninstalled the program from Control panel, I would suggest you go ahead and restart the PC.

Now once the computer restarts, 

Use the following steps to reinstall factory installed hardware drivers:

1. Click Start (), All Programs, Recovery Manager, and then Recovery Manager again.

2. Under I need help immediately, click Hardware Driver Re installation.

3. On the Hardware Driver Re installation welcome screen, click Next.

4. Select a driver to reinstall, and then click Next.

If the driver you want to reinstall is not listed, select The driver is not in the list, and then click Next. Follow the instructions that display to use Windows Device Manager to reinstall drivers.

5. The Recovery Manager reinstall the driver.

6. After the driver installation is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.

For more assistance, please follow this link: HP PCs - Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet,

Thanks for you reply.

I am unable to find Recovery Manager in any Program or folder list from the All Programs option in the Start menu.

I also tried a Search for Recovery Manager and the only hit I get is Defectcode_Trans.xml, which I am sure is not what I'm looking for

Is it possible to download Recovery Manager from HP website?

Thanks

Dave

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.