Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
desktop p6730f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Need to update original graphic driver software. Currently using original driver Intel HD graphic ( version 8.15.10.2119).

Intel shows an newer version available; using their assistant, it shows newer version has been downloaded and installed, but when I restart ( "awaiting reboot"), only the original version is shown. When I try to manually update driver for the graphic card, I get error message and suggestion to contact HP.

Is there a newer driver ( I get Open GL 3.3 errors  on certain photo software ie. Luminar 2018)?

What is compatible and how do I successfully install?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

This method often works to update the graphics driver and bypass the Intel 'gatekeeper.'

Download and save, but do not run the latest graphics driver for the 1st gen core processors...

Version: 8.15.10.2622 (Latest) Date: 1/21/2012

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21480/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-Vista-and-Windo...

Then download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the graphics driver file you saved.

Have 7-zip Extract to:  and let it extract the exe file into its folder name.

Once that is done, go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Intel graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to the graphics driver folder 7-Zip created>Graphics>igdlh64 (setup information file), and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

This method often works to update the graphics driver and bypass the Intel 'gatekeeper.'

Download and save, but do not run the latest graphics driver for the 1st gen core processors...

Version: 8.15.10.2622 (Latest) Date: 1/21/2012

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21480/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-Vista-and-Windo...

Then download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the graphics driver file you saved.

Have 7-zip Extract to:  and let it extract the exe file into its folder name.

Once that is done, go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Intel graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to the graphics driver folder 7-Zip created>Graphics>igdlh64 (setup information file), and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks kindly. Your directions were  clear, easy to follow and did install the latest graphic driver to my HP desktop.

( I have to admit that I was a little nervous making the changes and when the screen went blank for several minutes while driver was being installed, I was really scared.)

Problem now however still exists with the Luminar 2018 application. I get error message "OpenGL3.3 and later is required for this application to run". It does run on my other (older HP desktop) using AMD Radeon HD 6530 D graphics!

Any suggestions to get this app working on this computer?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The Intel graphics adapter your PC has probably isn't strong enough to work the app you are running.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to get a cheap graphics card that works with the power supply your PC comes with.

However, I don't know much about what graphics cards the HP consumer desktop PC's can use.

Based on the age of your PC--maybe a Radeon HD 6450 or a Nvidia GT 210?

The HD 6450 draws less than 30W and the GT 210 about 30.5W.

The GT 610's are pretty expensive for some reason.

Anything newer won't be compatible with the legacy BIOS your PC has.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for all  your knowledgable assistance.

DSeye

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.