Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 6720f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just did an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home and choose to keep the Windows 7 files during the upgrade.  I didn't realize is was going to be 401 GB and don't want to keep on on my internal hard drive.  I used AOMEI Backupper Standard software to back up the files and restore during the upgrade.  The file back up took 6 hours for about 300 GB of data and did a file sync on some other data and it took 2 hours for 3 GB of data.  Would copy and paste be any faster to move that 401 GB of files?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PvillileTX 

According to Microsoft, the contents of the Windows.old folder will be routinely deleted 30 days after you did the upgrade. So, if you're going to move it again, you have a time limit.

I'm guessing you're connecting an external drive to a USB port, right?  IF that is only USB 2.0, it is going to take FOREVER to copy GBs of data to the drive, and there is no way around that.

Also, if your goal is to save that file to restore Win7 later, that will probably NOT work -- and I would not recommend it anyway since MS has dropped support for Win7.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@PvillileTX 

According to Microsoft, the contents of the Windows.old folder will be routinely deleted 30 days after you did the upgrade. So, if you're going to move it again, you have a time limit.

I'm guessing you're connecting an external drive to a USB port, right?  IF that is only USB 2.0, it is going to take FOREVER to copy GBs of data to the drive, and there is no way around that.

Also, if your goal is to save that file to restore Win7 later, that will probably NOT work -- and I would not recommend it anyway since MS has dropped support for Win7.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.