Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z1 entry tower G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since this forum I must say, is the most responsive out of many I have tried, and has many experts and users with great experience in this field - I'd like to post here two other highly annoying issues which no one was able to provide the answer to including HP support and MS support.

1.  Every so often, sometimes every day, my mouse changes the behaviour of the LEFT click:  from the standard one (selection) to switching programs and even freezing some programs opened at that time - which means I can't do anything.   It usually affects the Outlook, the browser and excel.  The only way to fix this is to restart my computer.  As I work across various programs including multimedia and usually have several documents open - shutting down everything in order to restart the PC is a significant and frustrating hassle.  I have re-installed the mouse driver few times, I have changed the mouse including to a different brand, wired and wireless - no change, the issue still comes up.  I will bless forever the person who will help me fix this via other means than re-installing Windows.

2.  Since I got  my new PC with Windows 10 (my old PC had 8.1)  - I have lost the Ctrl+C function to copy.  The cut and paste functions do work - but not this one.  I have tried different keyboards, wired and wireless, different brand - no change.  This means that this is either the computer issue or Windows 10.  Again, I do not want to reinstall Windows as I have made a lot of customisation of the settings, including some which I believe are not allowed in the new windows build that I would have to update to, and these are non negotiable for me.

I would be most grateful for your help with both issues !

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Since I got  my new PC with Windows 10 (my old PC had 8.1)  - I have lost the Ctrl+C function to copy.  The cut and paste functions do work - but not this one. 

I have tried different keyboards, wired(USB?) and wireless, different brand - no change.  This means that this is either the computer issue or Windows 10.  Again, I do not want to reinstall Windows as I have made a lot of customization of the settings, including some which I believe are not allowed in the new windows build that I would have to update to, and these are non negotiable for me.

ok do wired mice fail on all USB ports, try a new USB wired mouse too , as mice love to fail and not use wireless with dead batteries or weak worse yet)

that is what we do,  and then make sure no errors in device manager for that mouse or uSB ports

and in CP make sure   the mouse is tuned correctly per tabs there.

do not use old mice, as some are not supported, try a $10 new mouse USB wired. 

I have 10 bad mice here in abox. marked bad.  want one, see the point is they do love to  fail for sure lint packed.

buttons fail and cords fail inside, easy.

I buy them new in 10 packs so others I know , get handed one , at first bad click , yah problematic they are.

z1? G5 (gen 9 intel) prime grade PC that. never bad on all USB ports EVER>

here is a fix easy

1: NEW USB MOUSE , never old for sure relics from XP days of old.(trash em)

2: internet connected must be.

3; Device manager  click mouse and uninstall it, (if missing DANG say so,....)😂

4: now even reboot PC and and see if it is there, now, and working seen in device manager .

5: In PC tuneup the mouse,  tabs see that. click speeds and such, yes !😘

my mouse even works in BIOS wired USB never wireless.

one more test that and if works proves windows drivers are bad.

do not reload win10,  but there is feature loved by techs

called MS windows 10 inplace,  w10 to w10 upgrade (keep files and apps ,checked)

that works amazing if needed and I do not think so.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

thanks for your reply - I have already tried that - didn't help.

HP Recommended

As crazy as it sounds, try cleaning your mouse and keyboard, you'll find good videos on youtube for safe ways to do it. Sometimes a sticking key can cause strange things.

HP Recommended

thanks, but that's not the issue. in my case.

HP Recommended

Microsoft always start diagnostics with performing what they call a clean boot as in the video. You could try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0nGVk6JkM&t=2s

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.