Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750qd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to setup Windows Hello. I had this working once, but after sleeping the PC and waking it up again, face was not recognized. I removed the face from Windows Hello settings and tried to set it up again. Doesn't work again. The "Remove" option is grayed out, so apparently the original Windows Hello data is no longer there.

Now, when I try to set Windows Hello up again....sometimes I see the camera (in the s340c monitor) LEDs flicker but do not see the facial recognition working and the setup window just sits there forever with only "Cancel" as an option.

This monitor was purchased, in part, for the Windows Hello compatible camera (pops out of the top of the screen on the s340c).

Any thoughts?

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @kevmeist

I cannot find a model for the desktop you listed. Typo maybe?

Also, you dont have another webcam installed, correct?

If you are getting the not enough usb controller resource error, try this fix from the manual...

Uninstall the monitor webcam driver and re-run Windows Hello setup:
  1. Uninstall the monitor webcam driver:
    NOTE: The monitor must be connected by USB-B or USB-C cable when performing these steps (else the driver will not show in Device Manager).
    NOTE: The webcam on the monitor must be in the up position when performing these steps (else the driver will not show in Device Manager).
    NOTE: If connected to a computer that has a built in webcam, care must be taken to uninstall the correct webcam driver: HP HD Camera.
    a. Open the Windows Device Manager
    b. Expand Imaging Devices
    c. Right-click HP HD Camera and select Uninstall
  2. Run the Windows Hello setup process (Select Settings > Account Sign-in Options > Windows Hello > Face, then click the Setup button). Do not reboot the PC first.
  3. After Windows Hello has successfully been setup, then reboot the PC.
  4. After the reboot, the Windows Hello login and RGB webcam will work normally.
  5. If the Hello setup process still fails, check the Device Manager to see if the "HP HD Camera" driver was automatically reinstalled. If the driver was reinstalled, then repeat the same process (start at Step 1) with minimum time between uninstalling the driver and starting the Hello setup process.

Let me know if this helped.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Often , when trying to setup "Windows Hello", I get an error notification of "not enough USB controller resources".

When trying to setup Windows Hello, I do the follwoing:

1.  Type "camera" in the search box to start the camera program..

2.  Go the Settings\Sign-In Options\Face Recognition and click "Set Up".

3.  I see the box around my face in the Camera program.

4.  Sometimes I see the camera LEDs flickering, sometimes not.

5.  Many times I see the "not enough USB controller resources" - not sure if that message is from the s340c or the desktop?

Kevin

HP Recommended

Hello @kevmeist

I cannot find a model for the desktop you listed. Typo maybe?

Also, you dont have another webcam installed, correct?

If you are getting the not enough usb controller resource error, try this fix from the manual...

Uninstall the monitor webcam driver and re-run Windows Hello setup:
  1. Uninstall the monitor webcam driver:
    NOTE: The monitor must be connected by USB-B or USB-C cable when performing these steps (else the driver will not show in Device Manager).
    NOTE: The webcam on the monitor must be in the up position when performing these steps (else the driver will not show in Device Manager).
    NOTE: If connected to a computer that has a built in webcam, care must be taken to uninstall the correct webcam driver: HP HD Camera.
    a. Open the Windows Device Manager
    b. Expand Imaging Devices
    c. Right-click HP HD Camera and select Uninstall
  2. Run the Windows Hello setup process (Select Settings > Account Sign-in Options > Windows Hello > Face, then click the Setup button). Do not reboot the PC first.
  3. After Windows Hello has successfully been setup, then reboot the PC.
  4. After the reboot, the Windows Hello login and RGB webcam will work normally.
  5. If the Hello setup process still fails, check the Device Manager to see if the "HP HD Camera" driver was automatically reinstalled. If the driver was reinstalled, then repeat the same process (start at Step 1) with minimum time between uninstalling the driver and starting the Hello setup process.

Let me know if this helped.

HP Recommended

Removing the HP HD camera and re-running the Win Hello setup seemed to do the trick. Thanks.

The desktop model # is a Z9M79AV (although the HP Support Assistant seems to say that is a Y4507AV), so I am not sure which one is correct. The shipping box also says Z9M79AV, so where the HP Support Assistant gets that from...I have no idea.

When I set Windows Hello initially (it did work for a while)......I had to type "camera" in the search box to even get a screen to look for the registration. Tonight after uninstalling the HP HD camera...I got a black and white camera screen to do the registration with.

So, from that, it "seems" that having the HP HD camera in Device Manager is what caused the problem in the first place????

So, makes me wonder whyt that camera was there in the first place (this was a customized PC and ordered with the S340C monitor at the same time (same order #).

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Kevin

HP Recommended

Well I don't think the fact the camera was showing in the Device Manager is what caused the issue.

The camera has to connect to the PC no matter if its built into the monitor case, or if you added it separately as a stand alone. Otherwise it would not work.

I think you would still see the camera in the Device Manager now, you just removed it so you could sign in to Hello before it reinstalled. Anytime you remove a driver in the Device Manager and that device is reconnected, it will reinstall automatically.

Apparently there was some sort of misconfiguration when installed the first time. Just my guess of course.

Let us know if you have any other issues.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Yes, the camera is certainly there again (makes sense) now. Maybe my mistake was opening the camera program when setting Hello up for the first time. So, I guess, for whatever reason the issue happened...the procedure wasn't exactly intuitive. Thanks again.

Kevin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.