Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-300 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been running Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion Elite HPE-350T Desktop PC series computer, but now that the lastest security updates are out for Windows 10 home, the updates try to install every day, but always fail and get backed out by the system.  Microsoft support says it is because there are no drivers for Windows 10 on this HP desktop.  Anyone know a way to get Windows 10 drivers or get around this problem?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @ColoBill,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand, Windows update fails to install on your PC.

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

Could you share a picture of the Windows Update failed? 

Let's try to run Windows Update Troubleshooter from the link: Click Here

Use HP Support Assistant program to download Windows 10 Drivers. 

Keep me posted how this goes!

Have a great day 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks!  I ran the repair at the link you send me.  Microsoft support concluded that the HP system didn't have the Win10 drivers to support the most current security updates to Win10.  They said I had to resinstall Win7 or find drivers that worked from HP.   I hope this automatic fix did not undo what they just did for me, which was turn off the automatic windows 10 update for 100 days.

HP Recommended

@ColoBill,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Did troubleshooting steps resolve the problem?

To disable Windows 10 updates, you could refer to these troubleshooting steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
  • Search for Administrative Tools
  • Click on Services.
  • In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process.
  • To turn it off, right-click on the process, click on Properties and select Disabled. That will take care of Windows Updates not being installed on your machine.

Fig 2 - Turn off Windows Update in Windows 10

Windows 10 does not need any drivers. It uses in-built drivers for all the hardware available on your computer.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

I ran WINDOWS UPDATE again after doing the troubleshooting again that you recommened (two passes, once in administrator mode).  Fixes were applied, I restarted the PC too.    The WINDOWS UPDATE attempted to install for a long time, then it failed and it was automatically backed off by the update software.  This is the same result that my PC has had daily or more often since early November.

Microsoft said that the 2009 vintage hardware that I have on this HPE 350T has drivers that are incompatible with Windows 10.   Apparently, they were compatible until this latest Win10 version 16299 security mods that will no longer install on my machine.

So far, the windows update has not run on its own, so the changes Microsoft Help Desk made to shut it off for 100 days may still be in place.  Thanks for your instructions on how to shut if off on my own if it happens again soon or in 101 days.

ColoBill

HP Recommended

I ran that troubleshooter your recommended, but it reversed what Microsoft did to turn off the Windows Update for 100 days, and it did not fix the incompatibility with the latest windows security mods.   I did the changes you outlined to disable windows update, but windows update still ran and failed again and backed out to the prior windows release again.   When Microsoft disabled update for me on the phone, they changed 3 different settings and did not disable but turned it off for 100 days.   Do you know what other settings need to change?   I think WIndows 10 has a failsafe to stop you from turning off the update permenently.

HP Recommended

@ColoBill,

You might benefit by running the DISM tool.  It fixes corrupt entries.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I have run those windows update tools a dozen times.  Although I've been running Windows 10 for a year or two, this update with security mods fails every time and backs itself out.   Microsoft concluded that my HP system is too old to support Windows 10.  My system is still authorized for Windows 7.  I could reformat my harddrive and install Windows 7, or I could turn off Windows 10 updates and run with my current release as long as it lasts without the recent security mods or any future updates.  I've been trying to stop the updates for now and use Win7 as a backup approach later.   Microsoft support walked me through turning off the updates for 100 days, but running this troubleshooter turned the updates back on.   The update just started up as I was tying this, so it will try to install for an hour, then restart my system and fail again, like it has every day since early November.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.