Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Vision
Microsoft Windows XP

I am using Word and Excel on my HP.  When I type a page, save it and close.  The save works but a blank Word document page stays on my screen.  Eventually it goes away but not until I open another document or Excel program.  Then the same thing occurs.  Is it because I still use Widows XP?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@CherylGrace

Lots of stuff can be attributed to "still using XP".

This is far more likely something going on in your Office software.

For example, "Close" is not Exit.  Close leaves Word open, that is, the Word program is still running on the computer.

Article:

Excel and Word Issues when closing

I would guess whatever you are doing, not doing, or seeing is "Office" centric.  In other words, of all the problems "still running XP", this is not likely one of those issues.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi

In addition to Dragon-Fur's excellent answer....

MS Office can load at Windows Startup, and always be running in the background, Sysinternals  and may help here,   and can be stopped.

Also the file, Document itself is $LOCKED to prevent 2 copies being open and modified simultaneously, this lock is released after the .doc has been saved and closed.  How long after? Libreoffice is usually a few seconds, but not always, and MS Office is done in it's own time.   Also autosave on a document can hold a 'backup' copy.

Nothing directly related to XP as Dragon-Fur so rightly re-assures you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.