Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How do I change the system serial number in the bios of a D530 SSF when the system board is replaced?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I guess if that is all you can do with that utility, then that is all you can do.

I don't believe I stated that the utility would change or add the model number, nor did you ask that question originally.

You'll have to contact HP technical support and have an HP tech tattoo the bios with any other info you need.

Paul

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the utility to do this.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=PSG_I1...

The utility does not show your PC as supported but it will work on any HP business desktop PC at least up to the 8100 Elite which came out last year.

You will need a floppy drive--internal or USB.

A USB flash drive will not work.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi

I checked that, worked well but it can update only serial # not the model #.

Can you elaborate more , how I can update the model # for HP system

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

I guess if that is all you can do with that utility, then that is all you can do.

I don't believe I stated that the utility would change or add the model number, nor did you ask that question originally.

You'll have to contact HP technical support and have an HP tech tattoo the bios with any other info you need.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Has the location of this utility changed? I'm having the same issue and need to update the serial number on Z400 with replacement motherboard.  BIOS allows me to change the number, but the internal number (Reported by HP Advisor or auto-detect) is still not maching my serial number stickers on the machine.

HP Recommended

Hi, @DanTheMan2 :

There is a major issue with the HP business support pages missing a ton of drivers, utilities, etc.

I reported the issue two weeks ago to HP, who is aware of the matter.

Since I am not employed by nor do I represent HP, I don't know when they will restore the drivers to the support pages.

They are also supposedly getting rid of support files for any devices over 10 years old, which that utility is at least 15.

On my HP 8200 Elite CMT, there is a way to change the serial number and asset tag in the BIOS by doing this...

After entering BIOS Setup by hitting the ESC key, and then selecting the F10 option from the menu, press Ctrl+A to open additonal fields in Security>System IDs menu.

You can change/enter your PC's serial number in Asset Tag Number and Chassis Serial Number in the applicable fields.

Save changes there, and again when you exit the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thanks.. yes, I can do that in the BIOS and it saves it fine.. for some reason any other utility for online checks (HP Support Advisor and HP Auto Identify) still report the invalid Serial number.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I just did a search of the HP business support site's entire driver section and that utility no longer shows up.

I don't think that using that utility (if it worked on the Z400 at all) would resolve the online utility problem.

But I guess you have nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

I had bookmarked the link to the driver so that gave me the name of the utility.

Though it is gone from the HP website, I googled the name and found it on a 3rd party website.

I have zipped up and attached it below.  I checked it for viruses and whatnot.  Looks fine to me.

You will need to follow the instructions I posted a few years ago.  You must use a USB FDD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.