Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
eliteBook 8570w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to update the BIOS of my eliteBook 8570w PC but I do not remember the required  BIOS password: how can I reset it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately,  business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.

If you Contact HP Business support they should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately,  business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.

If you Contact HP Business support they should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

David your answer was right ... but after contacting the HP support they send me an offer to do that BIOS password reset for 520€ !!!

Personally I think that it is too much, so I ask the community if there is somewhere a step by step instruction in order I can do myself.

Regards

Enzo

HP Recommended

Hi,

I completely agree regarding the cost, and I've not heard of this being asked for before.

The problem is that the smc file needs to be customised for your specific machine ( from its uuid etc ) and I don't believe there are any 3rd party tools that will work for your particular Model.

What I would suggest is to contact HP again, ask for  Level 2 support and request a SMC file again - this should then be emailed to you along with instructions on its use.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David.

Thank you again for your suggestions and, for other guy that in the future should have the same problem, I summarize what happened in the following.

I contacted agan the HP call center and they told me that they cannot do anything for free because my PC is (for some days) out of warranty without a specific involment of the curstomer care service: so they suggest me to write an emai to  [content removed] and ask them for an authorization for them to do the work (create the smc.bin file). I waited some weeks without receiving no answer, then I complied through the HP facebook with the following message:

"What is the HP customer service email (possibly the Italian one)?  I contacted the Italian HP call center and they suggest me to write an email to [content removed] to solve my problem on a notebook. I wrote several times but I did not receive any answer nor replay. This is quite strange for a customer service ... Can anyone help me? I got lost my BIOS password for my EliteBook 8570w and I need to reset it in order to update the BIOS at the latest version (as suggested now that I updated it to Windows 10). At first the contacted call center sent me a proposal of a support at home for more than 500€  !!! A good MVP guy in the HP forum (also him very surprised for that money request even though the notebook is out of guaranty for few days) then suggest me to contact again that call center and ask for a personalized smc.bin file that can be sent by email and I can do the work myself. I then contacted HP call center for business users, but they told me that they need an authorization for doing that work from the customer service and they gave me that email ([content removed]) but, as already said, no reply from them to my emails!!!

I hope that is not the way of work of the HP customer support …".

They kindly replied after few hours: "Hello Enzo, Jeremy here. Your EliteBook 8570w is classified as a commercial product (business line). Our Commercial Support Team does not provide assistance via Facebook. If you require immediate assistance, you will need to log a case with our Commercial Support Team. Please click this link http://ow.ly/I3gw30140F8 for details. Thanks!"

Then I wrote again to [content removed] complying and attaching also taht facebook conversation: this time, after few hours the kind assistant Raffaella of Crt Italy called me and anthorized the work in warranty for customer satifation.

I was on holiday till today so I am going to provide now the asked UUD and the actual BIOS version I have on my EliteBook 8570w in order they can finally create and send me the smc.bin file (possibly tomorrow!)

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT

HP Recommended

I contacted again the HP call center and they told me that they cannot do anything for free because my PC is (for some days) out of warranty without a specific involment of the curstomer care service: so they suggest me to write to  the business customer relation email and ask them for an authorization for them to do the work (create the smc.bin file). I had to write to them severa times but at the end I was contacted by the kind assistant Raffaella of Crt Italy that authorized the work in warranty for customer satifation.

I was on holiday till today so I am going to provide now the asked UID and the actual BIOS version I have on my EliteBook 8570w in order they can finally create and send me the smc.bin file (possibly tomorrow!)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.