Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion P6-2376PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a terabyte drive that I took out of another desktop that died. My question is this- both the drive and tower have hdmi ports on them. If I hook up a cable to these ports would I be able to access that drive? If so would I be able to format the drive and then copy the primary drive to it so it will serve as a back up should primary crash?

Thanks for any  help

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, what is the drive you want to buy?? 

If you have an USB connection on the two disks, you can connect the two at your PC, and copie datas from the first for copy to the twice.

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

HP Recommended

@BobS47 wrote:

...  My question is this- both the drive and tower have hdmi ports on them.....

@BobS47 

Sorry for jumping in. What is the drive ?  Are you sure old drive has HDMI port ? You can't transfer data using HDMI ports. Normally internal HDD for desktop is 3.5". You can put it to an enclosure and use it as an external HDD. For example:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/volans-ue35-aluminium-35-inch-usb-30-hdd-enclosure-ab70019

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

First off sorry for the confusion about ports. So let me ask this-if I get a box  to put the drive in would I be able to format and copy internal drive? Also is USB 3.0 backwards compatible with 2.0?

Thanks

HP Recommended

So if I understand you correctly,if I put second drive in a holder and connect it to PC via USB then I can do what I need to do-format and copy internal drive,correct?

thanks

HP Recommended

@BobS47 

You can use it as an external HDD and it will turn up as a drive. You can copy, move ... files in and out. Yes, USB 3.0 is backward compatible.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.