Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP compaq slim line 8200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone;

Does anyone recognize the following error screen that popped up on my computer ???..I think that it could be a VIRUS ???

Spyware Detected:

Type:    Riskware

Family :

Name Gen.variant.applications

Object:  C\users\administrator Bundles\Downloads\Doenloads.

12-7-2016\Downloads\Microsoft_word pad.exe.  

I hope someone can say if this  would be detremental to my computer,  if there is a resolution for this, I would sure be greatful  for a solution..

Thanks,

Beep01

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's apparent that file is malware of some sort -- so you need to remove it.

But more important, you need to run some soft of antimalware product that will find and remove these kinds of things for you.

You can get Windows Defender for free from Microsoft, and that will likely do the job.

You can also get a trial version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for free from here:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Personally, I use the latter -- so you should download it, install it, and run the scan.  IT should then find the malware and offer to quarantine it for you.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Beep01,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

Without a file hash (checksum) , it is difficult to say with 100% certainty if this file is malicious or not. However, based on its name and location, it does look very suspicious. Legitimate Microsoft WordPad does not reside in this location.

If it was detected by your antivirus program, this is indeed an unwanted program.

Are you 100% sure this file is not malicious (not a virus) ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hello IT_WinSec,

Thanks for your answer, but, being as computer illiterate as I am I didnt realize too much from your answer.    I will keep on checking maybe someone has the answer.

Thanks Again.

Beerp01

HP Recommended

It's apparent that file is malware of some sort -- so you need to remove it.

But more important, you need to run some soft of antimalware product that will find and remove these kinds of things for you.

You can get Windows Defender for free from Microsoft, and that will likely do the job.

You can also get a trial version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for free from here:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Personally, I use the latter -- so you should download it, install it, and run the scan.  IT should then find the malware and offer to quarantine it for you.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

HI.

Gen.variant.applications as its name indicates, Gen.variant is usually an infection in most cases, also indicates that it is a Riskware that is a risky software, I suggest you use this software you do not have to download it on your computer and Fill it with protection against other security software that you have installed and against the negative impact it implies, you can do an analysis in case you find it deletes it by pasting your email, in case you wish you have 30 days of testing ... This software is very Cash of which is the only one that paid:https://www.hitmanpro.com/

Regards,luck.

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
☑ I'm sorry but you do not answer questions privately.
HP Recommended

Thanks.

Beep01

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.