Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion a1250n
Microsoft Windows XP

I have a media center pc running Windows XP.  A rogue program wiped out my start menu, and I cannot find the executable for the HP media center program, which I preferred to the Windows Media Player.  Does anyone know the name and location of the executable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Rique, welcome to the forum.

Here are some instructions that may help you find the file that you need:

1. Go to START.

2. Click SEARCH.

3. Click on “For Files and Folders…

search

4. From “What do you want to search for?” list on the left, click on “All files and folders.”

5. Type the filenames on the search box, and choose the “Local Hard Drives” (normally, it’s C: drive).

6. Click on “Search“.

I would type in Media Center to see if that helps.  I haven't used XP for years.  So, I am going from memory that this is correct.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Rique, welcome to the forum.

Here are some instructions that may help you find the file that you need:

1. Go to START.

2. Click SEARCH.

3. Click on “For Files and Folders…

search

4. From “What do you want to search for?” list on the left, click on “All files and folders.”

5. Type the filenames on the search box, and choose the “Local Hard Drives” (normally, it’s C: drive).

6. Click on “Search“.

I would type in Media Center to see if that helps.  I haven't used XP for years.  So, I am going from memory that this is correct.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

That search turned up a CAB folder with the media center files.  When extracted I was able to try running the exe files, and it turns out to be ehshell.exe.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.