Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP system has worked flawlessly for about 5 years.  A few days ago I came in to find the display had changed to 4:3 aspect ratio.   I have tried everything suggested on this forum but no luck changing it back.

PC: HP Pavillion p6000  (model p6754y) w/8 gig ram.

Monitor: HP S2031   (Product # WJ676A)  Connected by DVI.

OS: Windows 10 Home. 64 bit.  (Version 1703  OS Build 15063.726)

When trying to change the resolution on Settings/Display , these three are the only options available:

1280 x 1024

1024 x 768 (recomended)

800 x 600

So far I have tried:

1.  Updating drivers for the display adaptor and the monitor in device manager.  Always says they are up to date.

2.  Deleting drivers and rebooting.

3.  Did a hard reboot-power disconnected for 5 minutes.

4.  Reset bios to defaults.

5.  Tried to add the monitor to HP Support Assistant but it would not auto detect and would not recognise the produt/serial number i entered.

6.  Tried to find new drivers but HP does not supply video drivers for windows 10.

7.  Ran windows update.

8.  Attemted to use the monitor menu but found nothing that helped.

What do I try next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem seems to be solved.

I deleted the display adaptor and rebooted.  Now 1600 x 900 resolution is available.

Im sure I did this several days ago, but for some reason it worked this time.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Problem seems to be solved.

I deleted the display adaptor and rebooted.  Now 1600 x 900 resolution is available.

Im sure I did this several days ago, but for some reason it worked this time.

HP Recommended

I have the same exact problem you do and it just started today. I tried your fix with deleting the display adaptor but it did not work. Any other ideas? Thanks.

HP Recommended

Malmcomm.  Sorry but I have no idea why it worked this time.  The only difference I can recall is that I did it by left clicking on the device and selected uninstalled from the context menu instead of right clicking and using the popups.  It shouldnt make a difference but maybe it does.

Other than that see the list of things I tried in my original post.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I had tried all the same things you listed and none of it helped. It looks like the display adapter (ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500) is not supported by Windows 10 although it had worked fine for months.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Win10-Driver-Support.aspx

HP Recommended

@malmcomm wrote:

Unfortunately, I had tried all the same things you listed and none of it helped. It looks like the display adapter (ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500) is not supported by Windows 10 although it had worked fine for months.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Win10-Driver-Support.aspx

For what its worth, my display adaptor is listed as "ATI Radeon HD 4200" in the Device Manager.

HP Recommended

I deleted the display adapter again last night before shutting down. This morning it all looks normal again! We'll see if it stays that way. Very strange. Thanks for the tip, it took several tries but seems like it worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.