Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 24mh 23.8-inch Display
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, recently I have been encountering problems with my monitor. Sometimes it will randomly shut off and say Input not detected, but will usually come back on in a few seconds. However, today it has completely shut off and won’t come back on. I’ve unplugged and replugged everything, restarted everything, etc. I’ve even tried a different HDMI cable. However, it might have something to do with the cable adapter that connects the HDMI cable on the monitor to the PC. Is it possible this an issue with the monitor, the adapter or the PC? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Connect tv cable or dvd player to monitor using tv cable.

Try the opposite tv connect to computer

Try bending, twisting, flexing the cable at the end were it connects to computer AND to monitor

Get magnifier and good light and inspect connectors for debris if HDMI or bent pins if DVI.

Regards

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community
I am a community volunteer and not work for HP.
If you find this post useful click the YES button
If I helped solve your problem please mark this as a solution.

HP Recommended

@CWilliams2 --  Is it possible this an issue with the monitor, the adapter or the PC? 

In addition to what @BeemerBiker wrote, my response is "yes, to one or more of those components".

In order, I would try:

* replacing the HDMI cable (assuming that you have already closely inspected it),

* connecting your monitor to a different computer to see if it ever "goes dark",

* borrowing and trying a different monitor, to see if the other "known-good" monitor now shows the same issue; 

* opening up the desktop case, and trying to spin every fan by hand, to see if one does not spin freely,

* inside of the computer, do a good dust-removal (heat-sink on top of the CPU, dust on the fan-blades of the fan on top of the heat-sink, fan (if any) blades on the video-card,

* checking that the video-adapter inside your computer is not overheating and "quitting" on you,

* spend some money to purchase a different video-card.

How old is the computer? How "dusty" is it inside your computer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.