Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - M01-F1014na
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Desktop - M01-F1014na, the screen does not receive any input (it displays the 'no input' message.

I'm assuming it's the video card that's blown. I've put in a new one but it doesn't seem to detect it. Seeing as I can't see the BIOS how do I force the system to find the new video card at boot up?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

According to the spec page for that model, it indicates the graphics are integrated, which means there is no video/graphics card present but part of the CPU - Intel® UHD Graphics 630.

That spec page also indicates the Windows 10 came installed on that PC.

So some questions arise.  Are you really running Windows 7 on that PC and did it actually work?  Or are you in the process of trying to install Windows 7 on this PC?

What video card did you try - make and model?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response. The PC belongs to a friend and I've never seen it started. He told me it was W7 but it doesn't surprise me that it's wrong. The card I tried was a Radeon card, the [Personal Information Removed]which I guess means it is only 64k which maybe why it's not working. I've ordered this one Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB PCIe Graphics Card - Gainward which I hope is going to work!

HP Recommended

Let us know how this progresses or if you need anymore assistance.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

No, the new card didn't help. Either the motherboard is more broken than I thought or the BIOS is not switching over to the new card. Anybody know how to force it to find the new card?

HP Recommended

I have come to a conclusion based on a couple of assumptions:

The machine has safeboot switched on by default

The video card is one of the things safeboot keeps track of

If these assumptions are both true then my thinking is that safeboot is stopping it booting, or at least stopping it seeing the new card. 

Can anyone confirm these assumptions?

Can anyone suggest how you turn safeboot off if you can't see the screen to get into BIOS?

HP Recommended

Sorry, I meant Secure boot not safeboot!

HP Recommended

It seems that it is necessary to see the BIOS.  You can try this method and then run the Diagnostics routine

To run the Diagnostics routine, Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick Diagnostics from that popup menu, F2.

You can also see if the video card is recognized.  With the Graphics card in place the integrated graphics should be turned off by design. 

note:
Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

You can then turn off Secure boot, if you think that is going to help, after verifying that everything else passes the Diagnostics.
Report back with the results.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.