Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 24o
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13" (2012), running Catalina, and recently I bought an external monitor - HP 24o - and connected it via a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable. However, no matter what settings I use - and there aren't that many to adjust - the monitor's display is always fuzzy. Text is often unreadable, and I end up having to read it on my MacBook's screen instead. In addition, the colours don't look right - there is too much yellow for starters.

I have tried using an HDMI to HDMI cable, but the results are the same.

The specs for both screens are:

Colour LCD:

Display Type:  Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution:  2560 x 1600 Retina

Framebuffer Depth:  24-Bit Colour (ARGB8888)

Main Display:  Yes

Mirror:  Off

Online:  Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness:  No

Connection Type:  Internal

HP 24o:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (1080p FHD - Full High Definition)

UI Looks like: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Colour (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: CNK906166J 

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

I should point out that for the HP 24o display, the MacBook's system report states the resolution is 1920 x 1080, but when I enter System Preferences > Displays > HP 24o > Display, the resolution choices are either: - Default for display; or a Scaled Resolution with just three choices to choose from: 1600 x 900; 1080p; 720. I have tried all four options (including 'Default for display') and all of them are fuzzy.

I have done lots of research on this and it seems to be a common problem - but for many different monitor types. I have not seen any solution for an HP 24o monitor.

I did find one solution that seemed to work for a number of people with different monitor types - but it is a bit complicated, and involves running a few long scripts to overwrite the macbook's display file and create your own one (or something like that). I'm not sure if this would even work for my setup, but I thought it would be best to seek advice from the HP community before I break my laptop.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ATol777

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.