Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
Z5M38AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Video:  Intel 630 HD

Bought desktop Envy computer 2 months ago.  It worked fine initially.  

One day I started having problems with video after computer goes to sleep.   The video would not display again.   I tap a key to wake it, I can hear hard drive spin up, and caps lock key turned kbd light on and off.  But nothing I did brought video back on :  black screen.   I have to unplug computer, wait 5 seconds for green light to go out on back, plug back in, turn on -- and then video will work.     

I contacted HP support today.    The driver showing at that time was Intel 630HD version 22.20.16.4836

They had me wipe hard drive and do a complete reinstall.  The video driver that appears with that factory reinstall was 22.20.16.4691     Problem was SOLVED!     

So naturally I wanted to get the fresh install up to date.   I used HP Assistant and on list of things to update was Intel video driver.   An Intel installer ran.   Driver is 22.20.16.4836 again.   Tested it by putting computer to sleep.   Problem is BACK.  

I tried downloading a different version from your HP Support site. Installer keeps saying "system does not meet miniumum requirements".  

I tried removing the bad .4836 and adding the driver manually in windows device manager.  The version Windows provided is  .4574.   Problem is still here.   Button to roll back driver is still greyed out.

How do I get the factory restore driver (.4691) back without spending hours again reformatting my hard drive & reinstalling all of windows?  

And how do I override your HP Assistant so it never updates the Intel video driver again?    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@funchy

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you have trouble with the latest Intel chipset driver updates,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you attempted using the HP Recovery manager to recover the old or original drivers?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

NOTE:

If your computer was configured to order, you might need to reinstall certain software programs using the specific software installation discs that came with your computer.

For business computers, the recovery options might no longer be viable as the image might have been replaced. To confirm, contact your company's IT department or your local IT service.

Use the following steps to reinstall original software or drivers.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Recovery Manager.

If prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If prompted by User Account Control to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes.

2. Under Help, click Reinstall drivers and/or applications and wait for Recovery Manager to generate a list.

Figure : Recovery Manager

Recovery Manager opening screen

A combined list of applications and drivers to reinstall appears, with the drivers listed first.

Figure : List of drivers to reinstall

List of drivers to reinstall
  3. Select the checkbox next to the drivers you want to reinstall.

4. Scroll down to the list of applications.

Figure : List of applications to reinstall

List of applications to reinstall.
  5. Select the checkbox next to the applications you want to reinstall, and then click Install.

The computer installs the applications and drivers.

NOTE:

Some computers might not have software applications to install and an applications section might not be available. This is normal and software should be installed from the HP website or from the website of the software manufacturer.

6. When the Installation is completed message displays, click OK.

Figure : Installation is completed

Installation is completed message
  7. Close all open applications, then restart your computer.

This should help recover the original drivers, that said, If you wish to stop the HP Assistant from auto-updates, I'm afraid the only option is to uninstall it, as there doesn't seem to be any options to disable specific updates,

You may uninstall it using this link: https://hp.care/2ICGftf

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@funchy

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you have trouble with the latest Intel chipset driver updates,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you attempted using the HP Recovery manager to recover the old or original drivers?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

NOTE:

If your computer was configured to order, you might need to reinstall certain software programs using the specific software installation discs that came with your computer.

For business computers, the recovery options might no longer be viable as the image might have been replaced. To confirm, contact your company's IT department or your local IT service.

Use the following steps to reinstall original software or drivers.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Recovery Manager.

If prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If prompted by User Account Control to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes.

2. Under Help, click Reinstall drivers and/or applications and wait for Recovery Manager to generate a list.

Figure : Recovery Manager

Recovery Manager opening screen

A combined list of applications and drivers to reinstall appears, with the drivers listed first.

Figure : List of drivers to reinstall

List of drivers to reinstall
  3. Select the checkbox next to the drivers you want to reinstall.

4. Scroll down to the list of applications.

Figure : List of applications to reinstall

List of applications to reinstall.
  5. Select the checkbox next to the applications you want to reinstall, and then click Install.

The computer installs the applications and drivers.

NOTE:

Some computers might not have software applications to install and an applications section might not be available. This is normal and software should be installed from the HP website or from the website of the software manufacturer.

6. When the Installation is completed message displays, click OK.

Figure : Installation is completed

Installation is completed message
  7. Close all open applications, then restart your computer.

This should help recover the original drivers, that said, If you wish to stop the HP Assistant from auto-updates, I'm afraid the only option is to uninstall it, as there doesn't seem to be any options to disable specific updates,

You may uninstall it using this link: https://hp.care/2ICGftf

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!   This does indeed restore me back to the version of the video driver that works.    🙂  

Just wondering: is there some way to report a bug in the newer version of the driver?    I contacted support.  They didn't know of the bug.  They insisted I wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows, which took hours.   

HP Recommended

@funchy,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

You can report the bug on the Intel forum or on the Intel website.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.   The impression I'm getting from Intel is that they don't provide any support for the driver because it's been customized by the computer manufacturer.     

From the Intel support site:  "A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer."

HP Recommended

@funchy,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

The feedback is accepted and posting on the HP forum itself is like reporting the bug as everyone will be able to see your post. However, I will report this to the concerned team within HP.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.