Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop PC - 880-160se CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got the 

HP Desktop PC - 880-160se CTO with a NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti currently.

I'm needing an upgrade to the RTX 3060 card, but I'm not sure if my system is designed to handle that newer card??

My CPU is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

880-160se CTO Product Specifications and Configurable Options
Whoever can guarantee that this works should have the same computer, with a graphics card model already tested.
given the different possible models, we can not say anything
You shouldn't have a problem, but checking a few points
Once a model has been found, check the power required, yours will be sufficient!
Do you have the pci power connectors required for the chosen graphics card?
Another point, the dimensions, the graphics cards, do not all have the same dimensions, check if it is not much larger, it must fit
And not too imposing, you need space for ventilation, too big it risks overheating

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello

880-160se CTO Product Specifications and Configurable Options
Whoever can guarantee that this works should have the same computer, with a graphics card model already tested.
given the different possible models, we can not say anything
You shouldn't have a problem, but checking a few points
Once a model has been found, check the power required, yours will be sufficient!
Do you have the pci power connectors required for the chosen graphics card?
Another point, the dimensions, the graphics cards, do not all have the same dimensions, check if it is not much larger, it must fit
And not too imposing, you need space for ventilation, too big it risks overheating

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I did manage to find a 3060Ti RTX video card, which was 3/4's of the size of the GTX 1080 card.

It fit in the same slot, but getting the old card out was a bear, as there is a special bracket that holds the GTX in place at the rear of the card.  Held by 3 little screws.

Once that was undone, the old card popped out, and the newer RTX card popped in, but without that odd bracket designed for the GTX cards.  The power supply pins were 8 holes ONLY, whereas the GTX had 14 pins.  The 750 watt power supply did have a 6 holer with another 2 holer that fit the new card.

It powered up just fine (took 10 mins?)  Then only the Tampa MB graphic card was activated and only one of my 3 monitors was on.  About 5 minutes later the RTX did kick in (?) and now all three monitors are working and the diagnostic tool did show that the 3060Ti was the working card!!

So thank you.

Yes, you can upgrade the video card, but a good idea to upgrade the Nvida drivers too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.