Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1047c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a HP Pavilion p7-1047c desktop. The only upgrade has been slightly higher RAM. The machine was bought in 2011. Aside from RAM going bad (!?) In 2014, it has been reliable until now.

The other night, the display went haywire, large checkerboard pattern with horizontal lines and it's bright, painful to look at. To troubleshoot, I powered down and hooked up a different monitor with a new dvi cable.

Upon stsrtup, the display looks great on the password login screen and then reverts back to checkerboard nastiness. Can't use the machine at all, I can see mouse pointer but it will not respond.

Looks like my graphics card is broken. I thought I'd simply swap it out, but it is integrated. There is an expansion slot which I think can be used for a video card. Does anyone know if I can put a new video card in the slot and bypass the seemingly broken integrated graphics card? Or do ok need a new ipisb cu motherboard? Thanks.

If I need a graphics card, I understand I'll need a specific type for a 2011 era machine. Any constructive advice is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JoWo0

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

Since the Computer is unusable the moment you Sign in, I suggest you perform a Reset first before you go ahead with adding a new Graphics Card

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289 for help with the Reset. This will ensure it's not a Graphics Driver issue

Your Computer does support PCI Express x16 Graphics cards. The computer will support any latest PCI Express x16 Graphics cards. The rest only comes down to the cost and the purpose of upgrading the Graphics Card example if it's for Gaming etc.

Hope this helps

Thank you and have a great weekend 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.