Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem:

Harddrive crashed (Windows 7 installed). I got a drive from another HP computer that had Windows 10 installed.

Everything works great; however, the display has a maximum resolution of 1152 x 864 instead of 1600 x 900.  Not only is it lower, but distorted due to the different aspect ration. I've seen many solutions about rolling back the driver, but my drive never had the original Windows 7 driver installed.

I downloaded and installed the driver from AMD (ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics), but it did nothing.  The same problem persists. 

I downloaded the driver from HP, but it comes as a .exe file instead of a .inf file. When I run the .exe file I get a message that the system requirements don't match. I assume it's because the .exe sees that I'm using Windows 10 instead of Windows 7.

I don't know if the driver itself is the issue. I assumed it was. There is another device listed in the device manager called Monitors; the driver listed for that is "Generic Non-PnP Monitor". I also tried changing that to the "Generic PnP Monitor" but it did not work.

Please help me resolve this.

System info:

Processor - AMD Athlon II X2 235e 2.7 GHz

Memory - 4 GB

OS - Windows 10, 64-bit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC is not supported by HP for W10, or W8 for that matter.

Did you try manually installing the W7 driver from your PC's support page?

When you got that error, the driver unpacked to C:\SWSetup\sp#####, where ##### is the file number of the driver you ran.

So, go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category, click on the Microsoft Basic display adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab, click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have disk, and browse to C:\SWSetup\sp(the driver file number)>src>Packages>Drivers>Display>W76A_INF>C796051 (setup information file), select the model graphics adapter your PC has, click Next and see if the driver installs that way.

If not, you will have to clean install W7.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC is not supported by HP for W10, or W8 for that matter.

Did you try manually installing the W7 driver from your PC's support page?

When you got that error, the driver unpacked to C:\SWSetup\sp#####, where ##### is the file number of the driver you ran.

So, go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category, click on the Microsoft Basic display adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab, click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have disk, and browse to C:\SWSetup\sp(the driver file number)>src>Packages>Drivers>Display>W76A_INF>C796051 (setup information file), select the model graphics adapter your PC has, click Next and see if the driver installs that way.

If not, you will have to clean install W7.

HP Recommended

When I ran the sp49787.exe file it did not create a SWSetup folder. I searched the entire computer for different keywords on the path you listed, but nothing came up. I did not find an .inf file related to sp49787 or having to do the display. I’m assuming the file I need is sp49787.inf, is that correct? How do I get a hold of an actual driver file instead of an executable.

HP Recommended

OK. I was looking for the wrong file name. I ran the .exe file and allowed it to extract. I searched by date and found a folder under C:\Users\adria\AppData\Local\Temp. From there, I followed your instructions and it worked. Thank you so much for the help!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.