Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi. I have just purchased 2 x E243m displays for home use (23.8" model). I have connected 1 monitor via the USB A-B cable to get PC related USB items operational from the 2x USB ports on the monitor. The other monitor without a USB A-B cable i expected the USB ports to be always powered to provide USB power only for not PC related item (i.e. USB charge only) These 2 USB ports appear to be only powered if i connect a USBA-B cable to the monitor. I have a similar set up at work with 2x E243 monitors and the 2nd monitor provides 'always on' power to the monitor USB ports with no USB A-B cable connected. I have checked all the menu options on the E243M monitors in an attempt to switch the USB ports to 'always On' to provide USB power only but cannot find no option in the menu? So is there a way to power the USB outlet ports for E243M monitors to provide USB power only without connecting a USB A-B cable back to the PC?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

There are firmware updates for the monitor.  Possibly that feature was added (or removed) in one of the firmware revisoins

The spec indicates only 0.5 watt is consumed during standby or sleep.  That pretty much rules out any charging capability using the USB 3 ports.

Does the OSD offer any options for the USB ports like "always on"

Before updating the firmware you might want to read some of the comments here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0eigPC6Zo

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I been through the OSD options and read the user guide several times but nothing mentions 'always on' etc?

HP Recommended

Compare the firmware version of your monitors to the versions at work and upgrade (or downgrade) as necessary.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

@MH07 wrote:

So is there a way to power the USB outlet ports for E243M monitors to provide USB power only without connecting a USB A-B cable back to the PC?

@MH07 

No, you need upstream USB cables. The ports won't always on.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.