Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 27s
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hi - Just bought a HP Envy 27s monitor, capable of 3840x2160 res. Using with Macbook Pro Mid-214 retina 15". Can't get more than 2560x1440. Connecting HDMI 2 from the monitor into Mini Display Port on the Macbook with a Belkin cable. I know HDMI to HDMI won't get full res on this model but according to Apple it is possible to get this MBP to display full UHD.

How?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Anyfulekno,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with the screen resolution of your HP ENVY 27s 27-inch Display when connected to your MacBook Pro Mid-214 retina 15".

HP monitors are not supported in a Mac environment. However, newer Macs use graphics with VESA modes and can display to most HP LCD monitors. To do this, connect the monitor to the Mac while the Mac is off, and then turn on the MAC. The monitor should operate at 60Hz. The INF and software for the HP monitor are for Microsoft Windows and cannot be run in a standard MAC OS environment.

You may try checking for any apple updates or contact apple support.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hey ! Recently bought this envy 27s,  i own a macbook retina 13", 2015 edition, and was as you frustrated that hdmi output could not deliver more than 2560x1600. FYI, i tried with a thunderbolt to displayport cable, and ? IT WORKS perfectly, uhd is there, no flickering, awesome product HP, congrats (except for the lack of minimal documentation with accurate specs) !

Have fun !

HP Recommended

Thought I'd offer my solution because I now have 4k displaying:

(Macbook Pro 2017 15", USB-C to HDMI2 cable) 

From looking through the optimal resolutions on each port of the HP 27s:

HDMI2 - 2560x1440 

HDMI1 - 3840x2160

DisplayPort - 3840x2160

Now I'm not exactly sure if this monitor intended for HDMI2 to not offer the highest optimal resolution or it was because of my cable, but when I plugged it into the HDMI2 port, the resolution was not great at all. The specs for my cable does support 3840x2160 at 60Hz.

My workaround was connecting USB-C/HDMI2 cable to a female-female HDMI adaptor, which then connected to the HDMI/HDMI cable that came with the monitor, which I then plugged into the HDMI1 port, offering perfect 4k res. The difference was like night and day.

TL;DR - use an adaptor that supports 3840x2160 at 60Hz into HDMI1 or DisplayPort, not HDMI2

Hope that helps somebody. 

HP Recommended
I have a 2017 MacBook Pro. Grab one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-c-to-display-port-adapter-n57en it's only 30hz but works perfectly. I used the DisplayPort lead that came with the monitor. The output is stunning. Well worth the 25 quid.

You can get 60hz adapters and then override the factory settings, here's a guide (that i didn't need I the end) https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2016/06/04/how-to-enable-4k-60hz-resolution-2016-macbook/...

Cheers
HP Recommended

I bought this monitor to use on the Xbox One X and my computer. I'm running a R9 390x and i7 4790 with 12gb ddr3. Shouldn't be a bottle neck there.

I'm having a similar issue where I only get 2560x1440 however it's on HDMI1. I'm using a high speed HDMI cable. I've gone back to the comptuer store and tried displayport1.2 to Hdmi2.0 and the displayport adapter. The HDMI2 port will give me 2k/60fps and 4k/30fps. How is this possible? HDMI2 port is HDMI1.4 and HDMI1 port is HDMI2.0. 

Meanwhile on the Xbox One X, only HDMI1 port will output UHD. I get an error trying to use the HDMI2 port which makes sense because it doesnt support 4k/60.

Why does a high speed HDMI cable not output 4k/60 on HDMI1 port?

I've ordered a Displayport to Displayport1.2 cable to see if that works. Otherwise, I'll try your USBc method.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.