Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Model 23-d150 desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy 23 TouchSmart All-In-One PC works fine if I do a 'cold' start, but when the unit goes into sleep mode, it has an intermittent display problem on waking.  Sometimes when it wakes, the screen just flashes different colors (e.g. red, white, blue, green, etc.), and nothing I do can break through this flashing multi-color display except turning it off via the power button for a hard shutdown.  The computer won't recognize any input from the mouse or keyboard during the flashing display.  When I power it up again, it boots up normally and works well.  

I purchased software (Driver Booster 5), to update the drivers (14 outdated drivers were found), but the problem still persists.  I actually had this problem once before a couple of years ago, but it disappeared after one of the Windows updates.  This problem appeared again recently after the last Windows 10 update a couple of months ago.  

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?  I CAN live with it as it IS intermittent, but I thought I'd try this forum before giving up completely.  The computer is a few years old and works perfectly otherwise, so I would hesitate to get rid of it for this one problem.  I'm also thinking of just disabling the sleep mode altogether, but that seems extreme.

If anyone has any familiarity with this problem or any suggestions that I could try I would appreciate your reply.  Thanks in advance!   Robert.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Greetings @RobertSF

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an intermittent issue with the display when you wake the computer from sleep, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you made any hardware changes on your computer?

Have you run a diagnostics on your computer?

Have you tried to update all the drivers using HP Support Assistant?

Recommend you run HP Support Assistant on your computer to update all the drivers on your computer. 

Refer to this HP Article for assistance in using HPSA to update the drivers. 

Once all the drivers are updated, especially BIOS and chipset, shut down your computer. 

Wait for a minute. 

Turn the computer On and keep tapping F2 repeatedly on startup to enter system diagnostics. 

Run a system test on your computer to make sure all the components are working fine. Click here

If all the tests pass, restart your computer. 

Uninstall the display adapter from device manager, restart your computer. 

Download and install the driver back on your computer and check. 

Note: As your computer is not tested by HP for Windows 10, there are no drivers listed on HP Website for your computer. Click here

You would have to rely on Windows updates to get the driver back on your computer or install it from Intel website directly. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same exact thing happening to me for the last two days.  I did a system restore back to 11-8-17 as it appears there was an update; however, it still does it.  I have an HP Pavillion All-In-One.  I have ran all the troubleshooting fixes and nothing is working.  Please help!!

HP Recommended

Hello Chimney,

Thanks so much for your reply.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  I didn't notice the email that informed me about it.

No, I have made no hardware changes at all.

I will try your recommendations and see if that helps and let you know.  Thanks again for your help.  It is much appreciated.

Robert

HP Recommended

This didn't help me.  Frustrated!

HP Recommended

Greetings @Dynawoman,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that the screen on your computer is flickering after waking from sleep, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Please do not share the serial number of your computer.

May I know the steps attempted?

Have you run a diagnostics on your computer?

Have you tried to update all the drivers using HP Support Assistant?

Request you to provide more information for me to be able to assist you better. 

Keep me posted.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Chimney,

Just two points:

In my first post I said that I made no hardware changes to my computer.  I actually forgot that the hard drive on my desktop failed a couple of years ago, and I had it replaced with a solid state, 238GB drive. (OCZ-VERTEX4).   However, my problem did not begin when this SSD was installed.

I did download the latest version of HP Assistant.  When I run the HP Driver updates, the system returns the message that "No Pending Updates Found".  Everything is up to date.  I do have to say that this flashing screen problem has only happened about two times since I updated the drivers using the 3rd party application, "Driver Booster 5", so the problem is much less problematical as it was.  Most of the time it is working okay from sleep mode now.  I'm thinking that maybe I didn't restart the computer right away after running that program, but I'm not certain.  I have since re-started it and as I said, the problem is nearly gone, and certainly ameliorated.

I don't know what else to do, but I set the HP Assistant default to automatically check for driver updates.  Thanks so much for your help.  Your reply reminded me about the HP Assistant, which I was aware of but completely forgot about.  Maybe I wouldn't have had to buy the Driver Booster 5 if I had run this first.  However, if you have any other suggestions they would be most welcome.    Thanks again!  You have been very helpful.

Best,

Robert

HP Recommended

Product#: P2N43AAR#ABA

I've tried everything as mentioned above.  I've tried all diagnostic test and updating all drivers.  Nothing is working.

HP Recommended

@RobertSF, thanks for trying the suggested steps. If the issue persists even after uninstall all the display adapters and installing it back. 

Recommend you uninstall the display driver again and install it from Intel website directly and check. 

Based on the specifications of your computer, the computer came with Intel GPU. Click here

If the issue still persists, try the procedure mentioned below.

1. Start, type cmd, right click, Run as Administrator.
2. Type bcdedit /set useplatformclock true and press enter.
3. Type bcdedit /enum and press enter to verify useplatformclock says yes.
4. Reboot and put in sleep mode and check.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Dynawoman, thanks for the reply and providing the product number of your computer. 

Please click here for the specifications of your computer. 

You computer was configured with AMD R7 A360 4 GB GPU.

Open device manager, uninstall the display apdater. 

Visit AMD website and install the driver from there directly and check. 

If the issue still persists, try the procedure mentioned below.

1. Start, type cmd, right click, Run as Administrator.
2. Type bcdedit /set useplatformclock true and press enter.
3. Type bcdedit /enum and press enter to verify useplatformclock says yes.
4. Reboot and put in sleep mode and check.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.