Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 27
macOS 10.12 Sierra

When connecting retina Macbook Pro (2016) computers to the HP Envy 27 via USB-C, I receive the following message:

USB-C

Caution - An unqualitifed USB-C cable 
has been detected.
Please use a qualified HP USB-C cable
supported by this monitor to ensure the
best performance.

(Please see the attached image for the error message as displayed on the screen.)

This message appears when using the USB-C cable supplied by HP with the monitor. We have tried this with different computers, and the same message appears. These computers are running macOS Sierra 10.12.5 and 10.12.6. This monitor previously worked with these computers without issue. We have attempted to remedy this by changing the port that the monitor is connected to, cycling the power to both the monitor and rebooting the computers, and connecting the monitor both with its power on and power off.

HDMI still displays as expected.

Searching the web, this error appears to be experienced by at least a handful of other people. (see https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R29JEGTBYKK1XZ/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01N3Y..., http://fado.vn/us/dp/B01N3YVA0P/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&psc=1, https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/06/affordable-macbook-pro-display-hp-envy-4k-usb-c/).

How can this be remedied?

Thanks,

shane.

unqualified-usbc-cable.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It turns out that the cable shipped with the monitor didn't have the capacity to power the Macs, so we figure it must have burned out. We ended up purchasing a high capacity cable from Monoprice... the 100W Thunderbolt 3 (20 Gbps) USB-C cable. So far they've worked.

It should also be noted that the monitor itself can't charge the Mac... the Mac draws more power than the monitor can provide. You'll need to plug it in while you're using it. That may also have been part of the problem with the original cables.

Hope this helps someone else.

sd.

(edit: bad cut + paste in the name of the cable.)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Any update? HP does not sell this replacement cable. Do I need to return my monitor to HP or is there a workaround?

HP Recommended

It turns out that the cable shipped with the monitor didn't have the capacity to power the Macs, so we figure it must have burned out. We ended up purchasing a high capacity cable from Monoprice... the 100W Thunderbolt 3 (20 Gbps) USB-C cable. So far they've worked.

It should also be noted that the monitor itself can't charge the Mac... the Mac draws more power than the monitor can provide. You'll need to plug it in while you're using it. That may also have been part of the problem with the original cables.

Hope this helps someone else.

sd.

(edit: bad cut + paste in the name of the cable.)

HP Recommended

Hi sd,

Do you still get the error with the Monoprice cable? I have a Z27 and have tried several different cables with a chromebook. All the cables have worked for both charging and for display, but the monitor always shows this error when it is first connected or turned on.

HP Recommended

@DADZ8000, the Monoprice cables have worked solidly for us since we've purchased them. We've also provided extra charging cables for the MacBook Pro computers, just in case. 🙂

sd.

HP Recommended

So what I found yesterday is there's actually an option in the monitor's menu that allows you to turn off the "unqualified USB-C cable" warning. 

On the monitor itself (using the buttons on the back), go to:

Menu -> Menu Control -> OSD Messages -> Non-HP Cable Warning -> uncheck the box (both if desired).

No more annoying warning message. Photos attached. 

Step 1Step 1Step 2Step 2Step 3Step 3Step 4Step 4

HP Recommended

Hey so when doing this did the monitor just connect with the computer or was it just a black page with no message? I have a few of my users now getting this. 

HP Recommended

Sadly a new Monoprice Select Series 3.1 C to C Gen 2, 5A 10GBps, 1m cable still shows the spurious warning. So I have resorted to Brent2y32's solution instead.

Dan

HP Recommended

Note that Thunderbolt 3 is NOT the correct cable to use. It is supposed to be USB 3.1. It may also solve the error message problem.

More in my response to the more relevant thread: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/USB-C-to-USB-C-cable-recommendation-f...

HP Recommended

If you have a HP z27n G2 - the only cable I have found that works is the following: 

Belkin 1 m 3.1 USB-C Male to USB-C Male Cable (10 Gbps, 4k, 100 W/5 A PD, USB-IF Certified, Compatible with MacBook, MacBook Pro) - Black

I have used it with a MacBook Pro (2017) & HP Omen 15 (2017)

All other usb-c cables (including Thunderbolt 3) displayed the same warning message. 

Why can't HP publish the list of qualified usb-c cables or at least explicitly mention the USB-C specification required?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.