Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading to Windows 10,  the button used to display the HDMI in no longer functions on my HP Envy 23

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I had this same exact problem, except on the 27xt, which is the 27" version of the HP Envy TouchSmart. It's identical to the 23" only bigger. I called HP who told me to call Microsoft, who after an hour of Remote Desktop installing new graphics drivers and that not working told me to call HP.

So, I googled the problem and found this thread, on this forum and I'm soooooo glad I did. Hpuser30 is absolutely right, except I found an even easier method for fixing it.

I went to my local BestBuy store, which sells the 23" version and I plugged a flash drive, I brought from home, into the USB 3.0 port on the side of the display. Then I went to the c:\ drive and found their SWSETUP folder and I "copied" the entire folder to my flash drive. Their machine works perfectly, in Windows 10, so I felt confident this could work. I went home and opened the SWSETUP folder on my computer and I searched for MyHPDisplayOSD and I found the folder named the same thing. Inside that folder was a file called HP_My_Display_2.08.020_Setup.exe.

I tried running the file but it said I couldn't, because I already had a newer version. Which was the problem in the first place. Either Microsoft or HP had updated the driver to one that no longer recognize that HDMI port nor button.

So I went to control panel and then programs and I uninstalled HP My Device, which required a reboot. Then, I installed the setup file on the Flash drive, that I got from the computer at BeatBuy. I didn't even have to reboot. I just pressed the HDMI IN button and it worked perfectly, the way it's supposed to.

The store version is a 23" and mine is a 27". The store version had Windows 10 Home and I have Windows 10 Pro, but the HP_My_Display_2.08.020_Setup.exe works on both.

So, it's not the graphics driver and it's not button or the port, it's this HP My Display driver. The solution really is that simple. Now, I have to see if Microsoft or HP updates it again and messes it up.... Again. If they do, at least I know how to repair it.

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60
HP Recommended

i have the same problem my hdmi in works but no sound

have the same pc hp envy 23 beatsaudio

and running windows 10 64bit

HP Recommended
Same prob- hdmi input has no sound after upgraded to Win10- rolled back to 8.1 and hdmi input has sound.
HP Recommended

Same problem with Envy 27 k350xt Touchscreen with Windows 10.   Stopped its HDMI push-button responding right after the Windows 10 upgrade with option to retain personal files.   Problem persists after reinstalling Win 10 with "erase everything"  option. 

Reverted to 8.1 using recovery tool, and HDMI button starts to respond after pressing. 

Looks like HP developers have forgotten one more piece of driver or software for this function, even though their support webpage is now offering Win 10 drivers and software for Envy 27 xt.

HP Recommended

Hello, I am having the same problem as Madsolid and MJ-bos.

Model: HP Envy Recline 23-k104d

HDMI input from: PlayStation 4

I upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64bit via free upgrade programme on my HP Envy Recline 23-k104d

Had no problems whatsoever with everything else; native audio and video on Windows is working well.

When I switched to HDMI input from my PlayStation 4, there is video, but there is no audio output at all.

Rolling back to Windows 8.1 restores audio from the PlayStation.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I became impatient with waiting for HP Support to respond to or provide a software solution for the issue with HDMI button not working with Windows 10.

I went ahead and backed up HP's drivers and applications in the folder called SWSETUP in C drive-- when it had Windows 8.1 on it.  It was installed by HP Recovery Tool.  And then, I reinstalled Windows 10 with 'delete everything' option.  Now, everything is working fine.  All drivers are in their places, and they were handled by Windows Update only.

I searched through the stuff in SWSETUP folder-- that I backed up before.  I discovered an application folder called 'HPMyDisplayOSD'.  To me, 'OSD' means on-screen display.  I assumed that this is it, and then installed it.  

Voila!  HDMI button works properly with Win 10.   Just wanted to share with ya'll.    If this works for you, then happy computing!   😄

HP Recommended

that's what happened with me but the audio still doesn't work on the hdmi port. worked in 8.1.

HP Recommended
Any updates? I don't want to waste the time re-upgrading to 10 unlesss more than 1 person confirms it can work. Anyone??
HP Recommended
I had this same exact problem, except on the 27xt, which is the 27" version of the HP Envy TouchSmart. It's identical to the 23" only bigger. I called HP who told me to call Microsoft, who after an hour of Remote Desktop installing new graphics drivers and that not working told me to call HP.

So, I googled the problem and found this thread, on this forum and I'm soooooo glad I did. Hpuser30 is absolutely right, except I found an even easier method for fixing it.

I went to my local BestBuy store, which sells the 23" version and I plugged a flash drive, I brought from home, into the USB 3.0 port on the side of the display. Then I went to the c:\ drive and found their SWSETUP folder and I "copied" the entire folder to my flash drive. Their machine works perfectly, in Windows 10, so I felt confident this could work. I went home and opened the SWSETUP folder on my computer and I searched for MyHPDisplayOSD and I found the folder named the same thing. Inside that folder was a file called HP_My_Display_2.08.020_Setup.exe.

I tried running the file but it said I couldn't, because I already had a newer version. Which was the problem in the first place. Either Microsoft or HP had updated the driver to one that no longer recognize that HDMI port nor button.

So I went to control panel and then programs and I uninstalled HP My Device, which required a reboot. Then, I installed the setup file on the Flash drive, that I got from the computer at BeatBuy. I didn't even have to reboot. I just pressed the HDMI IN button and it worked perfectly, the way it's supposed to.

The store version is a 23" and mine is a 27". The store version had Windows 10 Home and I have Windows 10 Pro, but the HP_My_Display_2.08.020_Setup.exe works on both.

So, it's not the graphics driver and it's not button or the port, it's this HP My Display driver. The solution really is that simple. Now, I have to see if Microsoft or HP updates it again and messes it up.... Again. If they do, at least I know how to repair it.
HP Recommended

how does your button work i am trying to hook up my pc with my xbox and the buttton is not working do you know when they will patch this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.