Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 25X
Other

I've just started using the HP 25x gaming monitor which states a response time of 1ms on the box however in the OSD menu under image settings there's a response time setting which has the options 1 (Default) 2 (Fast) 3, 4, 5 (Fastest) and I can't find any documentation from HP stating what this setting is and how it alters the response time. Please help me understand these settings so I know I'm getting a 1ms response time otherwise I will need to return the monitor. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Level 5 is 1 ms, but I get really bad ghosting.  I use level 4 and its good.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@MattD89

Welcome to HP support community.

Response time is How fast your pixels can react to changing frames.

It means how quick the panel can switch from displaying black to white and back to black.

Usually the lower the better, as its part of the reason why a screen might be affected by ghosting, where you see a previous frame while a new frame is being displayed.

Anything below 5ms is usually fine, unless you want to lower input lag (competitive/PvP gaming.).

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know what response time is / does however I'm trying to determine what the settings I mentioned relate to in response time.

I'm after a 1ms response time.

Can you provide information on the response time settings and what each number relates to in response time?

HP Recommended

@MattD89

Don't worry about response times, 1ms vs. 5ms isn't a big difference and regardless there is no standardized way of measuring response times.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Level 5 is 1 ms, but I get really bad ghosting.  I use level 4 and its good.

HP Recommended

I've ended up using 120hz instead of Freesync on Xbox and it's allowed me to use level 5. I feel it performs much better and the display is very clear.

I'll give level 4 a go with Freesync back on and see it it works just as good.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey i have the first generation xbox one and i bought this monitor at 144hz and 1ms response time is there. How can i get my xbox and my monitor to run 1080p at 144hz or even at 120hz? I kno the xbox can only supports 120hz but thats fine with me how can i get that to work? Does anybody or anyone know or can help me? I have to use the control image veiwing images then go to the hp enhanced to get it to even look sharp every other mode looks like there blurrieness can somebody please help me ? If not im going to have to return this monitor and find a different one . Thank you to anyone that can help me..

HP Recommended

In order to get my Xbox to show the refresh rate option I had to change the output to HDMI instead of auto-detect as even though the HP 25x markets as 144hz capable it wants to force everything to 60hz and the Xbox is picking this up.

The setting I changes was under video fidelity & overscan then set Display to HDMI. Once you go back to display options you should now see a refresh rate dropdown and it can be changed to 120hz.

Is that what you're after?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.