Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Your response actually gave me hope for a change - however, after changing the power settings, I can unfortunately confirm it makes no difference. Still dead - with all cables.

I did mention about resetting the memory in my original post, and have tried it again, but it does not help.

If it helps, the monitor itself believes that USB-C video is connected. At least according to the menu, or the momentary information display. It then however says there is no signal and that display is going to sleep.

HP Recommended

I would think that message would indicate that the Monitor knows the cable is connected but that MacBook is either not sending a signal or it is sending in incompatible signal (like unsupported resolution). 

I would also think that resetting the pram would correct that.

If you connect the display with the laptop open, does the monitor show in the Displays Preferences?

If it does...

Verify the resolution that is set is compatible with the display.  It should only show supported ones but you never know.

If it does not...

Try holding down the Option key and you should get a button to Detect Displays.  See if that forces the OS to connect to the display.

Do USB devices connected to the monitor work when only the USB-C cable is connected?

Did you try a Factory Rest on the Monitor?

Things just seem odd all around...you should also be able to get more than a 30 Hz refresh rate over HDMI.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

I also found this tidbit of information when looking at documentation for the Envy 34" monitor.

Your symptoms indicate that this must already be turned on but thought I would post it just in case.  

The video input signal default setting on your monitor is set to DisplayPort. This default setting will enable the monitor to detect either a DisplayPort or HDMI host connection, but will not detect a USB-C host connection. Follow the steps below to enable the monitor to connect to a host with a USB-C connection and to set the video source back to either DisplayPort or HDMI from USB-C/ DisplayPort.

To change the video input setting to USB-C/ DisplayPort:

1. Press any OSD button on the monitor to enable the OSD buttons. The button definitions will be displayed on the screen. Press the Menu button to open the OSD menu.

2. Select Input Control, and then select USB-C Video. This will enable the DisplayPort alternate mode and allow video and audio between the USB-C connected host and the monitor.

Note: Depending on your monitor model, the OSD menu may look different from the menu in this illustration.

Displayport Setting.jpg

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

I appreciate the responses, and I have tried everything - some of these for the third or fourth time. I’ll try to cover off the points from the previous two posts.

I have tried PRAM, NVRAM and also the SMC Reset (the latter because it does describe about solving potential issues with USB-C).

The display does not show up in the preferences, no matter when it is connected, or if I try to detect afterwards. I do not believe it is sending an incorrect resolution - I believe it is sending nothing at all, as I think that it does not realise the USB-C that has been connected has any video capability, but only USB hub and charging.

In other words, USB devices do work from the hub, as described in the original post well.

I have tried factory resetting the monitor (again) - I have since changed it back to the USB-C, and changed the power mode as described before.

The refresh rate on HDMI visible to the Mac OS is indeed only either 30 or 25 Hz. Things get jerky real quick.

The input setting is indeed on USB-C Video - I have tried different settings, including auto switching on/off. What I note is different that your Input ConTrol display says either Active or Inactive for the connections.

Mine displays it like that if I am connected on HDMI - but on USB-C it just says “Connected”. Not Active - again because I guess the OS is no longer communicating Wirth this monitor like it once was.

HP Recommended

I do understand how you feel as I was in exactly same situation as you are for several months. However, I just want you to move to the right direction to solve that problem. It is definitely not about latest OSX Maverick, here in the video below you will see that I use a cable supplied with canon camera attached to the monitor and it's work fine. You need to wait 10-15 seconds for the first time and do not forget to press enter on keyboard. After that check if the USB-C status show "Active".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSxnRn-9v2c

HP Recommended

Hi! I can't see any solution on this thread and I had the same connection issues, but I can confirm I have successfully got the Envy 34 curved monitor to work with both MacBook Pro 15 inch 2016 and 2019 running Sierra, Mojave and Catalina beta with USB-C connection. 

What I learned is that you can't use any other cable than the Thunderbolt 3. I have the original Apple 0.8M TB3 cable. The charge cable does not work at all. I did not receive HP USB-C cable so I can't confirm if it works or not.

First I downgraded my MacBook Pro 2016 to Sierra to see if I could connect at all. When completed there was not a problem at all. The TB3 cable connected successfully all the time. The problem for the MBP 2019 is that it come shipped with Mojave. 

The MBP 2019 successfully connect after several attempts. It does not connect at the first time, but after trying 4-5 times with the different ports it successfully connects to the monitor. Sometimes even more attempts. I have both tested with integrated and dedicated GPU, but there is no connection different. When connected I receive 60HZ, full resolution, camera, sound and the monitor charges the MBP 15 at full load with no battery drop.

Conclusion: Use the TB3 cable and try several times by switching ports on the same side. Wait 5-10 seconds before switching because sometimes it can take some time to get a successfully connection. I hope this help.  

HP Recommended

I’m having the same issue, however I have two Envy monitor, both happen the same problem, one day to the other, just stop working. But I didn’t up-date nothing on my IOS. I use a dock station to use two scream, already tried to connect direct to the monitors, also didn’t work, what make me think is not my dock.

i tried to run with different monitors, and work just fine. Took my computer to Apple and it has no problem.

Tried different cables, Thunderbolt 3, USB C and nothing.

i both does monitores duet the UCBc connection, now I’m with more than 1200usd stoped in my fable for more than a month.

Need support from HP.

thanks 

HP Recommended

Just contact HP support by the subject, and just heart a very nice joke,

They want to charge me to support, even mention to then my computer works just fine with any other monitor.

I really suggest nobody to buy any HP product, I still not believe they want to charge me support for a monitor in the warranty,

HP Recommended

Hey, did you ever find a solution to this?  Just got one and can't get it to work... hoping someone figured it out by now.  

Thanks!

HP Recommended

As I have mentioned this issue has nothing to do with Operating System, it is about HardWare you need to find out where the problem caused. 

1. Try turning the USB-C cable back and forth.

2. Try swapping the USB-C connector.

3. Most of MacBook have more than 1 USB-C port so try use different port.

4. Make sure that USB-C cable is working (new cable doesn't means it is working)

5. Most important!! It take few seconds for your 1st time to connect to the monitor (give 30 seconds at least) 

This is great monitor, you will love it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.