Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 27er 27-inch Monitor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, I am using a HP 27er 27-inch monitor and I am wondering if I need to turn OFF the power button of the monitor every time after I shutdown my PC?  What's the best way to extend the life of my monitor? Should I just keep it on and with the power saving mode?

I'd really appreciate answers!

-K

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

There are different opinions about this. These are mine. How long do you use the monitor for each day? If you use it for less than 12 hours a day then turn it off at the button.  Leaving it on keeps capacitors inside charged and it's my experience that they can fail if left on all the time as constant tiny dips in the mains supply disrupts them.  It is the common opinion to be wary of electrical surges but it's repeated small dips in electricity caused by bad mains that burns capacitors. This is seen in big screen TVs that need large capacitors to start, they often burn out by three years (coincidence that it's after the warranty period?!).  If you are worried about the life of your equipment then get a UPS or an APC voltage regulator for it and feed it clean electricity.  When you put one on the line they will beep when there is any disruption to the mains supply and you'll be amazed how often this can happen when you can hear it happen.  People spend a lot on surge protectors, far more than they are worth and they can often cause more problems than they solve as they often are not earthed properly.  If you have nice things, take care of them with a UPS or APC voltage regulator box. 

HP Recommended

Glad I found your question because that is exactly mine with no definite answer.  I give up.   I just purchased the HP 27MQ monitor and when I power off the HP desktop, I wanted the monitor to really shut off too.  But instead, I see an amber light remain on in the lower right hand corner.  I assume that’s power saving mode?    I had an old Samsung before today and it shut off and turned on when I powered the PC on and off.   Never had to touch a power button on the monitor.   So, I’m confused.  

HP Recommended

Power saving is more of an industrial thing and isn't so good for individuals, it's not a lot, but it still uses electricity, and is wasteful and a bit lazy in my opinion. I think it's kinder to the environment and safer to the device and user to just push a button every now and then.  

HP Recommended

Oh, well.   That’s what I thought.   It’s really not a big deal at all.   I got spoiled with my seriously old but beautiful Samsung monitor.  It shut off when the system was shut down.   Who knows?  Maybe it remained in a power saving mode, too.  I know I never touched the power button, but I never had any indications that it was in any “on” mode when it was supposedly “off.”      I just got the new monitor today and hooked it up to the HP desktop tower and it’s a really nice monitor.  So, I will just have to spend an extra split second turning it on and off.   LOL.   Thank you for the quick response, which made sense by the way.   Been in the electrical industry for over 40 years thanks to my husband, and I myself build and repair computer systems on the side for many years.   I’m actually a court reporter.

HP Recommended

It's just habits, we get used to things.

Hp monitors are usually good and easy on the eyes in comparison to a lot of others. Take some time to adjust it for your liking, at that size it is bright so depending on were you sit, it might be better to dim it a bit. No enough people put effort into their ergonomics and can get headaches and backaches etc.

Good look with all. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.