Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new HP ProDesk 400 G3 that I am trying to set up dual monitors on. I thought that it would be possible because the computer has both VGA and DisplayPort ports. The problem is that the DisplayPort connection does not seem to want to work at all.

The two monitors I currently have have both VGA and DVI-D options. I am currently using this DisplayPort to DVI adapter: http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-To-54321-DisplayPort/dp/B00J9CLWP2

I have tried updating the driver for the installed Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter, and I have tried powering off the computer and powering it back on with only the DisplayPort cable plugged in. I have switched cables between the two monitors.

I have a feeling it might be the adapter, but I was hoping someone here might have more insight.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue. Connecting a monitor using a  Display port cable does not work. When using a displayport to dvi adapter the connection works good. I already updated the bios and the graphics driver (w10), but the problem remains. Another displayport cable (different brand) also does not work. I have this problem on all my G3 pc's (6). I also have G2.5 Pc's (10)  and these work perfect. The problem is in het graphics adapter/driver. I hope HP will solve this problem soon

HP Recommended

We purchase 100 of these they all have problems.  There is an issue the HP has yet to fully admit to with the system bios and the handeling of IRQ Sharing.

We can with the August 2016 Bios run two montiors utilizing on board video vga and dport, the system is supposed to support 3 monitors with a MST hub but will not.  On all of the available display drivers all three monitors are shown(driver properties) but windows will only show two available monitors on Win7-Win10.  Installing a Nvidia Quatro K420 supports three monitors on all other HP computers except this piece of ill developed junk from HP. 

We purchased all our 400 G3s with self encrypting HDDs and the moment encryption is engaged via SecureDoc(HP states fully supported with this model) we loose the onboard network card every time on everyone we have attempted to apply encryption.

I have been working with HP products for over 20 yrs and this is by far the biggest piece of garbage they have release.

HP Recommended

Same issue - New ProDesk 400 G3 does not work with DisplayPort monitor

Deskport pc connected to deskport monitor = no display

Brought the pc to use dual port - can only use VGA as no picture on Display port

Have tried only connecting Display port - no picture, and connecting both VGA and Displayport - no picture

HP Recommended

RolPatrick: "... When using a displayport to dvi adapter the connection works good..."

Thankyou RolPatrick, this gave me the clue I needed for a workaround.  DisplayPort as Displayport doesn't work on these machines, but by cutting out the DisplayPort part you can connect a second monitor.
DisplayPort to VGA adapter, has allowed me to connect two screens via VGA.

Conclusion

• If you need DisplayPort, don’t buy a HP ProDesk 400 G3
  • If you are buying a pc on a tight budget and need to use two screens, remember to add in the cost of a display adapter – or find a machine where things work out of the box  :Wink:
HP Recommended

Can you please confirm that the displayport to VGA adapter has sucessfully allowed you to connect two monitors to the ProDesk 400 G3?

HP Recommended

Reply to nkt_03

Yes:

First monitor: Display port to VGA adapter attached to DisplayPort on pc;

Second monitor: VGA port on pc

Both monotors use VGA cables

has allowed me to connect two monitors to the ProDesk 400 G3

HP Recommended

I tried everything. Updated the driver using the latest from Intel, the latest from HP Website and HP Support Assistant. Tried DP > VGA, DP > HDMI, DP > dvi, Nothing works... Any idea ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.