Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased an HP U32 monitor. The monitor offers 65W of power vis USB-C connection. How can I disable this power charging option? I only want my laptop to be charged from its own charger. I do not want to have two charging currents going into my laptop. 65W is not enough charging capacity for the workload. I need at least 80 W, which my laptop charger provides. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SillyBily -- is this your monitor: HP U32 4K HDR Monitor Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

That page states:

Power supply type
External
Power consumption
155 W (maximum), 45 W (typical), 0.5 W (standby)

So, it draws 155 Watts (110 Volts at 1.4 Amperes) from the external power-supply, and sends power to its USB-A ports.

You need a USB-C-to-USB-A cable to send signals (mouse clicks, keyboard presses) from the USB devices connected to the monitor, into a USB-A port on your computer.

It does not send 35 W of power into your computer. To do so would "fry" the USB circuits on your computer's motherboard.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, however, you are not responding to my post and your are incorrect. Please respond with factual information. 

Per OFFICIAL HP U32 Datasheet

c07809696 (hp.com)

It DOES send power to your pc to charge. 

Page 1

Plug-and-create in seconds
with a single USB-C®
connection that handles data
and power. Quickly dock and
charge a laptop while you use
your monitor or just as easily
tap into a desktop computer.
Feel inspired by a clutter-free
space.

Page2

USB-C® connectivity
Versatile USB-C® connectivity isn’t just for video - it also charges your PC with up to 60 watts of power.

HP, I am still awaiting a response. I do not want to create any issues with my laptop. I just want to use the USB-C to USB-C connection for video display ONLY, I do not want it to charge. How can I create the settings for this.

HP Recommended

@SillyBily --  Thank you for your reply, however, you are not responding to my post and your are incorrect. Please respond with factual information.   It DOES send power to your PC to charge. Quickly dock and
charge a laptop

Something is very strange in that manual.

USB-ports supply 5 Volts of power, and up to 2 Amperes -- a maximum of 10 Watts of power.

The power-brick for any laptop requires 110 Volts of AC ("Alternating Current") as "input", and the power-brick generates  up to 19 Volts of DC ("Direct Current") and up to 4 Amperes, out to the laptop.  So, 19 times 4 is 76 Watts of power. 

A device such as an iPhone, or other smart-phone, can be charged from the monitor, but that is only 5 Volts reaching the device. Sending 90 Watts of power to an iPhone will instantly "fry" the iPhone.

That USB-A-to-USB-C cable allows any device connected to the USB-A socket on the monitor to be connected to the computer.  But, as I have written, that cable is only carrying a maximum of 10 Watts -- not enough power to recharge a laptop's battery.

HP Recommended

There is nothing wrong with that Datasheet. Are you an Official HP support? So far I have received 2 incorrect responses. 

1. This is  USB-C to  USB-C connection. Please stop referring to USB-C to USB-A connection. HP Provides USB-C to USB-C Cable.  
  2. It does charge my laptop. Every time I plug the monitor USB-C cable (provided by HP) into my laptop (Also USB C), my laptop says, "Slow Charge" It gives my laptop around 60W of power. 
  3. I need to know how I can disable the charging aspect of the USBC to USBC connection. Simple question. If you cannot answer the question, then there is no need to respond. 

HP Recommended

@SillyBily -- If you cannot answer the question, then there is no need to respond

You have a firm grasp of the obvious.

Simple answer, in 3 parts:

1. if there is nothing in the OSD (On Screen Display) menu for the HP monitor, you cannot disable the "slow charge".  If the menu offers such as option, you may choose the option.
  2. disconnect the USB cable between the computer and the monitor.
  3. remove the battery from the laptop.

P.S. Note that most HP employees who participate in this peer-to-peer discussion forum self-identify as HP employees. I have never been employed by HP, and I do not falsely self-identify.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.