Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP w1907 Widescreen Monitor
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello 

I have a HP Pavilion Lap Top connected to a HPw1907v Widescreen Monitor via VGA connection from the monitor to HDMI port on my Lap Top.

The display will duplicate the Lap Top, but will not extend the display? 

When i change the setting to extend i loose the whole display on both the lap top and the monitor go blank.?

I have updated drivers all correct and working properly, and checked the NVIDA Ge Force GTX 1050 controls? 

But still have the same issue? 

Please Help me with a resolution to this issue.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Operating system is Window's 10 64 Bit, not 32 Bit. 

Thank you. 

HP Recommended

@Boysy, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you using a VGA to HDMI adapter/converter?

Do you have a VGA port on your Notebook and have you tried connecting a VGA cable to check if the issue persists?

- In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
- In the list of devices, look for Graphics driver and expand the list
- Right-click the driver and select Update Driver Software.
- Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the updated driver.
- Restart your computer to complete the installation of the updates.

Then update the BIOS from here.

Enter the product details.

Also, ensure that your Windows OS is up to date

Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.

For more info on how to use an external display, kindly refer to this document. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307

Thank you for your reply.

I have a VGA port on the HP w1907v widescreen monitor the is then connected to a HDMI port on my HP pavilion Laptop, via a brand new lead / adapter i have recently purchased  specifically.

I have run all the driver updates and windows updates as suggested, together with checking the setting on the NVIDA Ge Force GTX 1050 control panel.

All are set to the same resolutions as recommended.

The monitor works fine from the settings drop down menu in duplicate, show on 1 only, and show on 2 only, however when i select the drop down to extend the display as required, both the monitor screen and the laptop screens blank out, i.e black screen.

I then have to disconnect the monitor via the HDMI port to get the screen back on the laptop, and can then only duplicate, show on 1 only, or show on 2 only, as explained above.    

I just do not know what to do to rectify this issue.

I used to have the monitor connected via VGA on the monitor to USB on the Laptop and this worked fine but i have lost the lead so purchased a new lead but was advised to go for the VGA to HDMI?.

Short of buying a new lead VGA to USB again is there any fix or setting i need to change that could resolve this issue.

Thank you.

Boysie.

HP Recommended

@Boysy

Make sure you are not using any splitters or hubs. Connect the cable directly.

Also, check with an alternate monitor if available. 

if the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further assistance as this could be a compatibility issue. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

The monitor is connected directly from the VGA socket to the HDMI socket on the lap top, no adaptors or hubs, i.e a direct connection.

The same issue occurs with a different monitor also a  HP w1907v Monitor.

Is there a setting or something that i can change or have not  got correct in the control panel (NVIDA)?

I feel this has to have something to do with a setting? as i can not reason why it would be a compatibility issue if the lap top and monitor work fine together in duplicate, show on 1 only, and show on 2 only?

Can you refer this issue to HP Support in my region.

Thank you.

Boysie. 

HP Recommended

@Boysy

I have sent the contact information to reach the HP Support team via a private message. Kindly check the same.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.