Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem with Pavillion 500-249. No sound from headset, though headset checks out O.K. in Device Manager. Also, when headset jack is plugged in, speakers are not muted.

Windows troubleshooting says headset not set as default, but "apply this fix" fails.

Microsoft Windows 10 support was unable to correct this by taking control of my computer for over an hour and have referred the problem to Microsoft engineers. They were supposed to call me today but I'm still waiting, and it's 2:30 p.m. here.

If they find a fix, I will post it here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

You have a hybrid system. HP is using Realtek drivers on an IDT -Beats audio chipset. This was caused when Apple acquired Beats Audio. Some HP systems manufactured in the interim had ITD hardware but had Realtek drivers available for download at the PC Software and driver download site. New HP systems now have Bang & Olufsen audio.

Please see here for the specs on your PC, including the IDT audio chipset. But the driver download link for your PC (below) shows Realtek audio driver??

I have a system with the same characteristics and have no intention to go to Win 10 on that PC.

The usual next step is to uninstall the current Microsoft provided driver and try installing the HP Win 8.1 or , if available, Win 10 driver for your PC. Here is the Win 10 Realtek audio driver. HP has Win 10 drivers for your PC. You may have to edit the operating system and version to see the Win 10 drivers available for download.

TomP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

You have a hybrid system. HP is using Realtek drivers on an IDT -Beats audio chipset. This was caused when Apple acquired Beats Audio. Some HP systems manufactured in the interim had ITD hardware but had Realtek drivers available for download at the PC Software and driver download site. New HP systems now have Bang & Olufsen audio.

Please see here for the specs on your PC, including the IDT audio chipset. But the driver download link for your PC (below) shows Realtek audio driver??

I have a system with the same characteristics and have no intention to go to Win 10 on that PC.

The usual next step is to uninstall the current Microsoft provided driver and try installing the HP Win 8.1 or , if available, Win 10 driver for your PC. Here is the Win 10 Realtek audio driver. HP has Win 10 drivers for your PC. You may have to edit the operating system and version to see the Win 10 drivers available for download.

TomP

HP Recommended

Hi Tom.

Thank you for your reply. I was able to fix my PC sound problem and it seems like your suggested solution is similar to what worked for me. Below is the procedure which I found on the internet (don't remember the site, unfortunately).

"You can try this. Open Device Manager and expand Sound, video and game controllers. Right click your audio controller (if you have two showing start with the top one) select Update driver software... and in the pop-up select 'Browse my computer for driver software'. Select 'Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer', the resulting pop-up will show a list. The one with the blue tinted certificate icon is the one currently used and doesn't work. Start from the bottom if you have a list and click on it, then select the next tab. You might get an error warning that the device won't work if you install that driver. Just carry on installing. The sound icon might also show the red diagonal line. Reboot and let the driver install for a few seconds then try the volume slider on the speaker icon in the notification area. Repeat this untill you find one that works. If none work return to the original driver and keep checking windows update."

It was the top driver of three which did the trick for me.

Thank you again for your response.

Ray.

HP Recommended

Just had Windows 10 update and the headphone jack stopped working!

About a year ago, I went to update some out-of-date drivers and I had the same problem.

In that case, I just restored to a previous backup point and my headphone jack was back to working.

I never wanted to mess with the drivers after that.

But this time, it was caused by a Windows Update that I didn't expressly allow.

I followed your advice and my headphones are working again!

I didn't realize IDT was the WRONG driver.

Thanks a bunch!

HP Recommended

This totally worked. Thanks Ray.

PS- the 1st option on the list did the trick for me.

HP Recommended

This didn't work for me.  Strangely though I turned blutooth back on, plugged in headphones and they were immediately recognised.  Weird!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.