Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Only the upper left part of the screen works (8.5" w x 2"  h).

When I power on, POST appears on screen.

I have a USB to VGA adapter that I would like to use to connect an external monitor.

The problem is how to load/install the drivers.

Any recommendations how to do this?

I'm thinking there may be a way to do it if I boot into DOS from a USB flash drive.

Can anyone help me with instructions/directions how to connect an external monitor?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@appletreasures,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

What is the exact model for your computer?

What is the operating system you are using?

Usually, the monitors use the Windows drivers and work fine with the generic drivers. If the external monitor is detected by the operating system, then you should get the display. As you are not getting display it is difficult to install the drivers from DOS. However, if you would like to try, boot to the command prompt by tapping the F8 key on startup and choose the command prompt option.

Follow the below steps to install the driver.

From the command prompt type the following command, 
drvload <INF> 
<INF> - A path to the driver's .INF file. 

Example: 
drvload c:\drivers\device1.inf

The specified driver(s) would be loaded and installed immediately.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The exact model number from label under stand is

HP 19-2113w All-in-One Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR).

Product No G4B06AA#ABA

It appears to have Windows 10 installed.

This All-in-One does not have a connector for an external monitor.

Therefore there is nowhere to directly connect an external monitor.

I have a USB to VGA adapter that I would like to use to connect an external monitor.

The problem is how to load/install the drivers.

Since only the upper left part of the screen works (8.5" w x 2"  h) it is difficult indeed trying to install the driver(s).

I'll try at the command prompt as you suggest.

There seem to be several things blocking progress.

1. Broken screen

2. Possibly password locked computer

3. Unable to boot from USB flash drive.

Broken screen makes navigating menus terribly difficult.

1. My All In One does not have a connector for an external monitor.

2. I have a USB 2.0 to VGA adapter that could be used to connect an external monitor.

3. I have the required driver for USB 2.0 to VGA adapter but broken screen makes it difficult to install driver.

Possibly password locked computer

1. When I boot from hard drive I get what appears to be the POST.

2. Then I get what looks like desktop.

3. It could be the login screen.

4. Pressing any key or clicking mouse seems to cause what is likely the date and time (normally) displayed at bottom left to scrool up VERY quickly and disappear.

5. Since I do not have password and would have hard time entering it “blindly”.

6. I suspect this is just another factor blocking progress.

Unable to boot from USB flash drive.

1. I have not tried booting from bootable media creation tool thumb drive.

2. I am unable to boot from a USB flash drive that does boot on my Windows 7 laptop.

3. I suspect it won't boot either because the hard drive is before USB in boot sequence or because secure boot is enabled and Legacy Support is disabled.

4. I am able to access the BIOS Utility by repeatedly pressing F10 while booting.

5. This is the BIOS utility that I have on the HP 19-2113W,
    Hewlett-Packard Setup Utility

6. Does your All in One use the same BIOS Utility ?

7. Since I can only see a tiny portion of the screen (because the display is extremely damaged), I am navigating the menus almost blindly.

8. That means I need to know exactly what keys to press in the exact sequence to make changes.

9. Would you be able to give me the detailed keystrokes required?

HP Recommended

@appletreasures,

Thank you for the detailed information.

I recommend you try the suggested steps and check if it helps. 

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.