Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello,

I have a hp p6404y pc and think the graphics card has gone down. Can a new one be installed or should I look at replacement pc?

thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the specs your PC has an onboard graphics adapter.

HP Pavilion p6404y Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

You would need to purchase a legacy graphics card.

None of the graphics cards on the market today would work in your PC.

I recommend you find a used but tested and working Nvidia GT 210 graphics card on eBay.

Hopefully that model would work fine in your PC.

HP Recommended

@jtm3247 wrote:

Hello,

I have a hp p6404y pc and think the graphics card has gone down. Can a new one be installed or should I look at replacement pc?

thank you 

Hi @jtm3247  @Paul_Tikkanen 

HP Pavilion p6404y Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Video graphics

Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 9100

In case !
the product page does not mention a pci 16x graphics card
so in view of your question,  possible that this is still the case?
What makes you think you need to replace the graphics card, what are the symptoms?
because if there was no graphics card added, depending on the problem, it may be useless to install one..

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi:

I was fully aware that it may have been the onboard graphics that failed, and sometimes adding a graphics card will resolve the problem if everything else is working.

If you look at the motherboard specification, you will see that there is a PCIe x16 slot available for a graphics card.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, M2N78-LA (Violet6) | HP® Customer Support

• Manufacturer: Pegatron
  • Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 9100
  • Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
  • Front side bus speeds: 5200MT/s (5.2 GT/s)
  • Processor socket: AM3
  • Expansion Slots:
    • 1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
    • 2 PCI Express x1 slots
    • 1 PCI slot
    • 1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

I see used but tested and working Nvidia GT 210 graphics cards on eBay for as low as $19.99 delivered.

A fairly small investment which may fix the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.