Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Slimline 260-p026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to move an icon that is on my taskbar to my desktop.  I know it simple, but I can not for the life of me remember the procedure.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello
no actually not with windows 10, it's not the same thing
If you right click you should have for example:
detach from the task bar (in french):

Annotation 1.png
this removes the icon, there is generally no way to simply move it on the desktop
In general, you have to find the program in the started menu and create the shortcut
select the file left click move to the desktop release!

Annotation 3.png

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

HP Slimline 260-p026

HP Recommended

I finally remembered how to move icons from Start to desktop.

Settings>Home>Personalization>Start.  Go to "Use full start menu."  Tick-off.

Start menu will be smaller which gives the opportunity to move icons to the desktop.  You then can go back and "tick on full start menu.

Hope this works for you as it did me.

No bad for an old broad.

HP Recommended

Hello
sorry, although i don't use it, can you give screenshots of what you indicate, because here i don't see what it is
I'm in the FR version, so I don't see which option you're talking about!
In the options start me I have this:

Annotation .png

Start menu will be smaller which gives the opportunity to move icons to the desktop.
And so it corresponds to what I show in pictures, my menu is already reduced in size without having changed anything?
That does not allow you to move the shortcuts from the bar, but from the start menu, right ??

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I am not sure if the solution will allow you to move task bar icons to desktop.  Let me take a look.  BTW, I do not speak French.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.