Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
24yh
Microsoft Windows 11

My 24yh monitor is no longer detected from any of my three laptops. One is running Windows 11. The other two run Windows 10. When I turn on the monitor it shows "HDMI: Inactive" and then "Input signal not found." I have tried every order of restarting the computers, unplugging the monitor power then plugging it back in. No luck.

Important: I tried plugging the monitor into my Roku and everything worked. So, the power and HDMI cable work. 

I used the monitor menu to "Factory Reset." This did nothing either.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@adamrabin -- When I turn on the monitor it shows "HDMI: Inactive" 

Is this your monitor: HP 24yh 23.8-inch Display - Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

On that page, I see: Inputs

1 VGA
1 DVI-D
1 HDMI

What type of cable are you using to connect from your laptop(s) to your monitor?

Is there some "input" button on your monitor, to tell it to "listen" to the correct one of those three possible inputs?

I think that your computer is "listening" to the HDMI port, and I think that your ROKU uses an HDMI cable to connect to your monitor, and I think that none of your laptops are using an HDMI cable to connect.

Short answer: use the "input" (or "source") button on your monitor to select from the 3 possibilities.

HP Recommended

Yes, that's the monitor. And I am using the same HDMI cable I tested on my Roku.

I couldn't get the monitor to work on my laptops. So I plugged the monitor into the Roku with the same HDMI cable. That worked. Then, I plugged the HDMI back into the different laptops and that did not work.

HP Recommended

@adamrabin -- do your laptops have HDMI-output, and an HDMI cable, connecting to the HDMI-input on the monitor?

Do your laptops have VGA-output, and a VGA cable, connecting to the VGA-input on the monitor?

I think that your monitor is currently "listening" to the HDMI-input, while your laptops are sending VGA-output to the "inactive" VGA port on your monitor.

Please view: videocables1.jpg (415×344) (pcdn.co)

for the different styles of video-cables. Which style are you using to connect from your laptops?

Use the "input" button on your monitor to switch from VGA to DVI to HDMI, while a laptop is connected.

One of those 3 settings should show the image being sent by the laptops.

HP Recommended

As I mentioned in my previous posts, I am using an HDMI cable. 

HP Recommended

@adamrabin -- what is the manufacturer and model-number of each of your laptops?

On your laptop, hold-down the "Windows" key (bottom-left) of your keyboard.

Tap the "P" keyboard key. 

Do you see any option to "duplicate" or to "extend" the laptop's internal display through the HDMI cable to the HDMI input on the monitor?

HP Recommended

When I turn on the monitor with the HDMI cable attached to any laptop (e.g. my Lenovo IdeaPad 3), the monitor shows that all three sources are "inactive." And then I get the message that "Input Signal is Not Found."

I am unable to do anything through the WINDOWS-P menu because the computer does not see any other monitor.

HP Recommended

@adamrabin --  the computer does not see any other monitor

If you open the Windows "Device Manager", and expand the "Monitors" branch of the device-tree, how many monitors are listed?

By the way, what are the manufacturers and model-numbers of your laptops?  All the same?

HP Recommended

Two of my laptops are the Lenovo IdeaPad 3. The other is a Dell Latitude 7480.

Only one monitor appears in the Device Manager. Because, as I have said, when I turn the monitor on it says the HDMI is NOT ACTIVE and, therefore, does not acknowledge that a computer is trying to connect to it.

THE MONITOR DOES NOT SEE THE COMPUTERS. THE COMPUTERS DO NOT SEE THE MONITOR. 

This all worked a day ago. It no longer does. The monitor can work with my Roku device but it does not work with my laptops. 

How do I fix this situation? How do I make the HDMI input "ACTIVE"?

Before replying, please review my previous posts that clearly laid out the problem. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@adamrabin --  Two of my laptops are the Lenovo IdeaPad 3. The other is a Dell Latitude 7480.

Thanks for finally adding that information. It seems to rule-out the possibility that it is a defect ONLY with HP laptops.

Only one monitor appears in the Device Manager.

How many different HDMI cables have you tried between your laptops and your monitor?

You have indicated that you have one HDMI cable that works to connect your ROKU to your monitor.

Because, as I have said, when I turn the monitor on it says the HDMI is NOT ACTIVE and, therefore, does not acknowledge that a computer is trying to connect to it.

It *IS* acknowledging that there is no HDMI-stream from your laptops that reaches the monitor.

THE MONITOR DOES NOT SEE THE COMPUTERS. THE COMPUTERS DO NOT SEE THE MONITOR. 

Understood, when you use the one HDMI cable that you possess.

> This all worked a day ago. It no longer does.

Again, I recommend that you purchase a brand-new HDMI cable, and deploy it.

Your repeated plugging/unplugging of your HDMI cable may have damaged it "a day ago", thus causing it to stop working, "a day ago".

> The monitor can work with my Roku device but it does not work with my laptops. 

Understood.  That HDMI cable works to connect the two devices.

> How do I fix this situation? How do I make the HDMI input "ACTIVE"?

Again, purchase and deploy a new HDMI cable.

> Before replying, please review my previous posts that clearly laid out the problem

Go ahead, and be very rude -- shoot the messenger

P.S. sometimes, free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. 

Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.