Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Mini-in-One 24 Display, Pavilion h8-1360t desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just upgraded the display for my HP Pavilion h8-1360t running Windows 10 64-bit to an HP Mini-in-One 24 Display that has an integrated webcam. For whatever reason, Windows 10 does not recognize the webcam, apparently. I have checked all of the settings  in the Camera app; access is allowed. Device Manager shows no camera. Camera app can't find a camera either (screenshots attached). I purchased this display specifically to add a webcam to my desktop so I can participate in Zoom meetings, and basically I have a large paperweight right now. Well, at least the display and the speakers work. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out a solution? The last thing I want to do is get on the phone with tech support, but if I have to, I will. TIA!

Screenshot 2020-05-01 09.16.16.pngScreenshot 2020-05-01 09.20.37.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

you can for sure use it as monitor using the HDMI in port available on the monitor.

if you did't try yet on the Mini-in-one there is a USB-Type B port, connect a USB-A to USB-B cable from your PC and the monitor , it could be that in that way the webcam will be found and also the USB ports on the monitor will be connected to your PC.

In case you will buy a desktop mini , it MUST  be a current product , I means ProDesk 400 G5 DM or Prodesk 600 G5 DM or ELiteDesk 800 G5 DM and it MUST have a USB-C Flex I/O port with 100W power input, without this option , you can't used the DM inside the mini-in-one.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello

Mini-in-one 24" display is a special display that should be used and bought because you have a compatible HP Prodesk or EliteDesk DM pc compatibile with Mini-in-one 24" .

How did you connect the Mini-in-one 24"  to your Pavilion h8-1360t  ?

all ports you have below the display are parts of a Docking , and the connectio nto the docking is via the USB-C cable that is hidden inside the monitor.

The USB-C cable is not long enought to conenct an external computer.

you should have bought another monitor, for example E243m

bye

HP Recommended

"Hello

Mini-in-one 24" display is a special display that should be used and bought because you have a compatible HP Prodesk or EliteDesk DM pc compatibile with Mini-in-one 24" .

How did you connect the Mini-in-one 24" to your Pavilion h8-1360t ?

all ports you have below the display are parts of a Docking , and the connectio nto the docking is via the USB-C cable that is hidden inside the monitor.

The USB-C cable is not long enought to conenct an external computer.
you should have bought another monitor, for example E243m"

My reply: Thanks for your response. To answer your direct question, according to the manual, this display can function as a standalone monitor and can be connected to a desktop computer via DisplayPort. That is how I connected it to my h8-1360t. It's obviously an older model desktop although it's running Windows 10 64-bit, so my suspicion is that the computer just won't recognize the built-in camera due to its age. Which is why I bought the display in the first place. (Take a look at the User Guide for this display--it has other ports besides the USB-C)

With regard to what I SHOULD have done--and thank you for that--first of all, I spoke at length with an HP sales rep before I decided to purchase this display. At NO time was it ever suggested that this display was intended to work only with a mini desktop computer that actually is supposed to be tucked into the back of the display. I even gave her the specific model of desktop pc I was planning to use the display with. Nothing in the specifications for this display on the HP website mentions that this is the only intended use of this display. It's a great display, it just isn't doing what I hoped it would do.

Second, the E243m display you suggest looks like it would have been the one to go with--but HP has apparently discontinued it because it is not listed anywhere in their store--or I would have found it, since I searched specifically for "display with builtin camera." The HP Mini-in-One 24 is the only result returned by that search. After reading your comments, I checked on the availability of the E243m--it is available only through 3rd party sellers, and I have no way of knowing if the builtin camera on that display would have given me the same problem. I also searched "E243" on HP's store--there are other "E243" displays, but no "E243m" and none of the other "E243" displays has the builtin camera. So that entire comment is moot.

The bottom line is I am going to have to replace my old h8-1360t desktop before too long, so I will probably purchase one of the mini desktops that is intended to be used with this display.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hello

you can for sure use it as monitor using the HDMI in port available on the monitor.

if you did't try yet on the Mini-in-one there is a USB-Type B port, connect a USB-A to USB-B cable from your PC and the monitor , it could be that in that way the webcam will be found and also the USB ports on the monitor will be connected to your PC.

In case you will buy a desktop mini , it MUST  be a current product , I means ProDesk 400 G5 DM or Prodesk 600 G5 DM or ELiteDesk 800 G5 DM and it MUST have a USB-C Flex I/O port with 100W power input, without this option , you can't used the DM inside the mini-in-one.

HP Recommended

"if you did't try yet on the Mini-in-one there is a USB-Type B port, connect a USB-A to USB-B cable from your PC and the monitor , it could be that in that way the webcam will be found and also the USB ports on the monitor will be connected to your PC.

In case you will buy a desktop mini , it MUST be a current product , I means ProDesk 400 G5 DM or Prodesk 600 G5 DM or ELiteDesk 800 G5 DM and it MUST have a USB-C Flex I/O port with 100W power input, without this option , you can't used the DM inside the mini-in-one."

My reply: Thank you for the idea of trying the USB-A to USB-B cable; I have several from the various printers I have used over the years. I had to Google what a USB-A to USB-B cable is--back in my day, it was just called a USB printer cable (I still remember the days of serial printer cables!). I will try that & see if I have better luck with it.

Thank you also for the recommendations for the desktop mini--the spec sheet for the display indicates that the desktop mini must be a " 35W and 65W HP ProDesk or EliteDesk G5 with the optional USB-C and PowerDelivery rear port." Your comments will help me narrow that down.

Thank  you again.

HP Recommended

"if you did't try yet on the Mini-in-one there is a USB-Type B port, connect a USB-A to USB-B cable from your PC and the monitor , it could be that in that way the webcam will be found and also the USB ports on the monitor will be connected to your PC."

My reply: Connecting the display to my desktop via USB-A to USB-B cable worked perfectly!! Problem solved! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

HP Recommended

Hello Lisa

thank you for your feedback.

I'm happy to know that after almost 40 years working with computers, I'm still able to provide good advise.

bye from Italy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.