Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 22xi
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Half the screen on my Pavilion 22xi is now in deep shadow. A factory reset has no effect.  The shadow is present whichever PC or laptop is connected.  Are replacement lamps available, and is it a DIY job to fit them, or best entrusted to a pro? Or is it another case of the throwaway society?

Many thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

let me answer as a fake, LCD panel seller , generic on ebay or amazon

what do they say, well that is so simple as they tell me this every time i buy one, or open the box and it states read me first.

• ONLY removing the panel and reading the words on the panel tells you what is inside, samsung and LG made are common and not the  same even back lamps NOT THE SAME  , make or panel and model number LCD actual screen.
  • A screen on PC or monitor can vary by production dates or by parts shortages, in the factory (JIT rules) and even be different for different  counties, (EMI /RFI always {noise)
  • The Screens on mine have different data ports. (
  • the 1 line answer is always the same LOOK First,  only this works, right ever.

Open the LCD monitor

remove the screen , see 2 things, 1: maker and models LCD (no HP does no make LCD panels i guess)

then see if the black lamps come out , MANY DO NOT and only looking tells that. hands on labor and looking./

some have CCFL inverter module not on main card as most do. it can fail this tiny 600volt card.

some have LED buffer board that can fail not on them mainboard, as many are, but again only looking finds this raw truth.

(dates of mfg, and productions changes, even mid year, or parts shortages, happen and subs get used.)

what you see is what you got. WYSIWYG ,  

short answer, some are easy other hard or impossible. looking only works. 

the impossible need whole new LCD array with deep buried LED back lamps. 

I can not predict any of this, I look first. then leap.

how ever HP can look up your serial number and tell more but the HP partsurfer on monitors is  NILL.(shows blanks for parts )

NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@1947Peter Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to replace the backlight lamp.

In that case, I would suggets you conatct our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Or you can conatct the local service center for repair.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

some screens can and some can not, ive done many. (less now, due to lower cost of Monitors today)

some LCD are glued together so tight no  way to fix it and not wreck the LCD. 

others have aluminum bend tabs far more easy and are complex to find and replace. Tubes.

and costly,  for parts (CCFL tubes) and labor.

it is not DIY, nor cost effective for sure any 22"  you can buy a used 22 for what $40 -100:

Econ101 is always in play and your choice alone. (means family choices if true)

I say go to youtube and watch the vast posts there dong just this, learn the ropes even get scared.

"sharp metal cuts, pinch points and more" tools got tools and skills? can you take something complex apart and put it all back and not damage it in the process, this is key that.

10 year old monitors are mostly dead now CCLF ended in 2010 , from large to small screens in that order.

to LED.

but wait, the HP pages may contradicts this ,but sure may be 2010 transition change.  I DO NOT KNOW THIS< no used parts.

IF burned in the LCD , no new back lamps can fix that,  you need new LCD

I see it is LED and not CCFL now,  based on HP spec page,  IF you leave static screens running all day long you can get damage. (burn in effects) that is why my TV ROKU moves the the screen in sleep mode. float it  to save it from damage.

worse is high contrast images STATIC.

HP Pavilion 22xi IPS LED Backlit Monitor"

IPS stands for in-plane switching, a type of LED (a form of LCD) display panel technology. IPS panels are characterized as having the best color and viewing angles among the other main types of display panels,

HP Recommended

lets look at hp partsurfer first and I did

https://partsurfer.hp.com/WSearch.aspx?Wchar=Y&searchText=Pavilion+22xi

it shows.  7 are LED

and no parts save , a power cord.

I look there to see if parts ware sold and if it told P/n of back panels etc, answer none.

post a photo of the screen using only a white screen, in any way.

so I can see said shadows,  and magic can happen,  LCD bad, CCLF bad , inverter bad, LED driver bad.

The parts are rare on this bird,  and the parts list vaguely  implies this is  transition year, to IPS  or not.

Did you see that  CCFL hours burned in the actual monitors OSD menu's or just read rumors of it on line

if rumors, that is only 1/2 true, on transitional LCD from CCFL to IPS.

seems yours is the old version to me. if in OSD that is the old version.  (matters BIG TIME for parts buys)

HP Recommended

news flash just for you..

I go to my huge attic, pull down a HP monitor made same year as yours but is 20 "

i go to the OSD and sure and bananas have skins, the LED (actual) monitor here has  CCLF lamp hours

but renamed back lamp hours,  so must be a transitional thing.  ( LED can go decades if brightness keep reasonable)

what that means is, just because it shows that , does not mean it has CCFL lamp tubes that fail at 20k hours, or 5 years old

photo photos of  your screens and win,. (saves your time and free helpers time and all time)

if the OSD shows up ugly the screen is bad, OSD runs even with no PC present.

I hope I just saved you TIME and Cash both,   (I can not speak for HP parts depot or the lack there of at hp parts surfer dot com.

HP Recommended

Hi Savvy2,

Thanks for your 3 posts today.  To replace the failed screen I bought a used monitor 23xi with 1250 running hours, and I'm happy with that. I was just curious to know about the possibilitiy of repairing the old 22xi monitor, but from what you say that doesn't look a realistic option.

Thanks again for your advice.

HP Recommended

most monitor made have no SERVICE manuals or are only sold to authorized, OEM service centers

google for one?

or use youtube,  find your s with search of "dismantled"

then see if the thing even comes apart at all  some do not some are in this huge plastic LCD and backlight glued up mess

what I do is take off the back and look

I see they still use hours  on the lamp even with LED , no idea at all me why do that. it is not common ., now.

in the old days (thick cased monitors you off the back and see this huge thick LCD assembly,

that comes apart easy for me, not above

2005 made, thick and old CCFL tubes the last 5 years and die, 20k hours.    and $20 tube adds up fast.

ccfl (1)w.jpg

LED has LED array and special defuser that can not be change with with out the whole thing.

one must look first as mid year production changes happen (factory) or in most cases 3 suppliers of LCD all different,

Nothing beats looking first, in the computer world or working on cars.  The service manual if found can be correct.

HP Recommended

let me answer as a fake, LCD panel seller , generic on ebay or amazon

what do they say, well that is so simple as they tell me this every time i buy one, or open the box and it states read me first.

• ONLY removing the panel and reading the words on the panel tells you what is inside, samsung and LG made are common and not the  same even back lamps NOT THE SAME  , make or panel and model number LCD actual screen.
  • A screen on PC or monitor can vary by production dates or by parts shortages, in the factory (JIT rules) and even be different for different  counties, (EMI /RFI always {noise)
  • The Screens on mine have different data ports. (
  • the 1 line answer is always the same LOOK First,  only this works, right ever.

Open the LCD monitor

remove the screen , see 2 things, 1: maker and models LCD (no HP does no make LCD panels i guess)

then see if the black lamps come out , MANY DO NOT and only looking tells that. hands on labor and looking./

some have CCFL inverter module not on main card as most do. it can fail this tiny 600volt card.

some have LED buffer board that can fail not on them mainboard, as many are, but again only looking finds this raw truth.

(dates of mfg, and productions changes, even mid year, or parts shortages, happen and subs get used.)

what you see is what you got. WYSIWYG ,  

short answer, some are easy other hard or impossible. looking only works. 

the impossible need whole new LCD array with deep buried LED back lamps. 

I can not predict any of this, I look first. then leap.

how ever HP can look up your serial number and tell more but the HP partsurfer on monitors is  NILL.(shows blanks for parts )

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.