Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1048xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible use a conjunction of multiple adapters to output 4k at 60Hz on my PC?  

Desktop: HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1048xt

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400

GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630

Display: HP V28 4K

I have been having issues reaching the maximum resolution of my monitor. Due to my desktop’s motherboard only having one 1.4 HDMI output, my desktop is unable to output the maximum resolution of my CPU at 60Hz. My CPU is capable to output 4k at 60hz with a DisplayPort 1.2 cable, but my motherboard does not have a DisplayPort out. Initially, I thought I would just add a dedicated graphics card to my PC, but my PSU is only 180 watts and the motherboard is proprietary to HP. The only option left is to use a USB to DisplayPort 1.2 adapter. However, I am not entirely sure if my PC is capable of using USB ports as video outs.

My desktop has 4 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate ports on the front. Looking at the motherboard specifications, the USB ports are specifically USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A ports.

There are quite a few USB type A to DisplayPort 1.2 adapters on the market, but most of these adapters are pricey. Nevertheless, USB C to DisplayPort 1.2 adapters are rather affordable. Is it possible to use a USB A to USB C adapter in conjunction with a USB C to DisplayPort 1.2 adapter?

USB Type-A -- > USB Type-C -- > DisplayPort 1.2

I am not sure if this would cause compatibility or overheating problems to the USB port.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@AccioPotassium wrote:

USB Type-A -- > USB Type-C -- > DisplayPort 1.2

@AccioPotassium 

No, the connection won't work. The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06687599

Its HDMI 1.4 won't give your 4K 60Hz. It has following expansion slots

• Two PCI Express slots (1 x PCIe x16 and 1 x PCIe x1)
  • One M.2 socket 1, Key A
  • One M.2 socket 3, Key M, (2280/2242)

The best option is to add a video card to the PCIe x16 to support 4K 60Hz monitor.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.