Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 21 h-010
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

All was fine until this morning, keyboard, mouse, and touchscreen all stopped working. Restarted/rebooted a few times, nothing. Was able to reboot into whatever modes run various diagnostics, all appeared OK, all worked in test mode. Rebooted, same thing, nothing worked. Rebooted into safe mode, same result. Unplugged and replugged power cord. Attempted a restore to last restore point, that was unsuccessful. Now it won't come out of safe mode no matter what I try. 

I was able to get to a screen with an option to do a backup but it wouldn't recognize any external hard drives, the only option was to backup to DVDs even with just backing up only crucial documents, I'd need about 20 DVDs. 

I think there was a Win 10 update done last night even though I had auto updates set to off. System is a bit over 3 years old and is, of course, out of warranty. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@poptart

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you keyboard, mouse, and touchscreen are not working after Windows 10 update. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂  Kudos to you on that score.:)

Follow the below steps to uninstall the updates and restart the PC

Restart the PC and keep tapping on F11 to launch recovery manager

At the recovery screen, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, and then Command Prompt. You may be asked to enter a BitLocker Recovery Key or username/password.  If prompted for a username/password, you must enter a local administrator account.

· In the Command Prompt window, type the command listed below for your version of Windows and press ENTER.

For 64-bit versions of Windows:

• dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package/packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

Note: If Windows is not stored on the C: drive, replace the C: in the above commands with the appropriate drive letter.

Close the Command Prompt and click Continue to exit the Recovery Environment. Restart to enter Windows.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheer.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@poptart

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you keyboard, mouse, and touchscreen are not working after Windows 10 update. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂  Kudos to you on that score.:)

Follow the below steps to uninstall the updates and restart the PC

Restart the PC and keep tapping on F11 to launch recovery manager

At the recovery screen, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, and then Command Prompt. You may be asked to enter a BitLocker Recovery Key or username/password.  If prompted for a username/password, you must enter a local administrator account.

· In the Command Prompt window, type the command listed below for your version of Windows and press ENTER.

For 64-bit versions of Windows:

• dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package/packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

Note: If Windows is not stored on the C: drive, replace the C: in the above commands with the appropriate drive letter.

Close the Command Prompt and click Continue to exit the Recovery Environment. Restart to enter Windows.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheer.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you! That got everything working again. I did lose a lot of what was on the system but I was able to get much of it back from my backup service. 

Having experienced issues with updates in the past I had at one time blocked automatic updates but apparently that's no longer an easy option but I've taken precautions so I can avoid further issues.  

HP Recommended

@poptart

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried this fix and received Error: 1639

the command line is missing a required servicing command. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.