Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p7-1245 (QW762AA)
OS X

I purchased a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 760 for my p7-1245 with a IPISB-CU motherboard. The product specs say that the motherboard supports PCI-E x16 video cards. I also purchased a 725w power supply to accomodate the new video card.

After installing, the computer freezes on the HP splash screen. I can't even get into the setup menus.

After replacing the card with the original AMD Radeon HD 7450 everything worked again.

I have done some research and discovered a lot of similar problems when people try to replace or upgrade the graphics cards in their HP desktops. Recommedations including updating bios, etc. seem to be ineffective for others, with the eventual conclusion being the incompatibility of the board itself with the graphics card.

Perhaps the card I bought requires a newer generation PCI slot and is not backwards compatible?

Is there a list of compatible graphic cards for the IPISB-CU motherboard?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The below list of HP OEM graphics cards should work in your PC.

Carmel2 graphics cards.jpg

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

PCI e connectors are backwards compatible, so that is not the issue.

Did you buy a card that has a hybrid BIOS / legacy BIOS compatibility?

I can see that your computer was released in 2011, so it would not have the UEFI BIOS that new cards like this generally require, though some do come with the compatibility mode option.

--------------------------------
I work on behalf of HP (But this isn't my job)

Mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, so that others with the same question can find the answer.

Please give me Kudos if I wrote something that helped you.
HP Recommended

These are the specs of the card from the Zotac website:

Model Model ZT-70401-10P
Interface Interface PCI Express 3.0 x16 (Compatible with 1.1)
Chipset Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA GPU GeForce GTX 760 Core clock 993 MHz (base) 1059 MHz (boost) Cores 1,152 Shader Clock N/A
Memory Memory Clock 6008 MHz Memory Size 2GB Memory Interface 256-bit Memory Type GDDR5
3D API DirectX DirectX 11.1 (feature level 11_0) OpenGL OpenGL 4.3
Ports DVI 2 HDMI 1 DisplayPort 1 VGA With included adapter
General Tuner None RAMDAC 400 MHz Max Resolution 2560 x 1600 RoHS Compliant Yes SLI Supported 3-way Cooler With fan (dual-slot) Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes Supported OS Certified for Windows 8 / 7
Packaging Package Contents ZT-70401-10P DVI-to-VGA adapter 2 x Dual MOLEX-to-6-pin PCIe adapter Driver Disk User Manual Game Bundle
HP Recommended

Hi,

The below list of HP OEM graphics cards should work in your PC.

Carmel2 graphics cards.jpg

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Are these the latest graphics cards compatible with Carmel2? I just tried to install an MSI Geforce GTX 750ti on it and I couldn't get through boot, even with legacy bios on. I'm just trying bide my time for a motherboard upgrade, so I'm fine for a GPU that can run decently on mid-high settings. 

HP Recommended

I am not sure if this thread is active or not, but I am having a similar problem.

H8-1117C computer with the Carmel2 motherboard.  The original AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card failed (would not boot except for safe mode, video has vertial bars every so often).

I ordered an EVGA GT640 card which was supposed to be compatible, but the computer hangs at the initial blue splash screen and you cannot run setup.  Putting in an older card (ATI Radeon X300) and the computer works fine.

Can you  tell me what cards are 100% sure to be compatible with the Carmel2 motherboard that have at least 1Gb memory?

HP Recommended

The GeForce GT 530 (2GB) does not work. I bought it today and returned it as I was not able to get anything to boot with it installed. 

Does anyone have any idea what graphics card CAN be used in this motherboard. I bought 2 different ones and nothing's worked so far.  My latest one is a Radeon R5 220. According to the specs on the box it should work. Of course it dosen't, and I'm just about ready to throw in the towl and ditch the whole computer and start over. 

HP Recommended

the geoforce 9500gt works.

i got stuck with an 750 ti and this board.

welp screw you hp. 

....planned obsolescence 

HP Recommended

i have the 1 gig version

HP Recommended

FWIW....I ended up at this page looking for info on the wi-fi adapter that is on the motherboard...but I CAN tell anyone who wants to read this...and I have no idea why it is so...but my IPISB-CU motherboard [don't know the BIOS version, haven't updated it at all] but my system runs fine with an MSI GTX660Ti video card...so why all these lower rated cards are failing to even boot? Even ran through a 3D Vantage benchmark and came up with a score of 26,867. Mine is a 2GB GDDR version...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.