Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

A few weeks back, my laptop suddenly died when I apparently didn't have the power cord plugged in all the way. When I restarted it, it gave off a loud ring around type beeping noise with a white screen and something about systems. That noise startled me, but gave me the option to continue (to end the noise) and it started back up fine so I just assumed that it was just mad about the power dying.

Now tonight as I finished using my computer and let it do some needed updates before shutting down, it did the same loud noise again out of nowhere, nearly causing me to flip the computer off my lap as a response to the startle. I again hit continue (to cease the noise since late at night) and it finished the updates and shut down just fine. 

Now I do have a board that my laptop sits on when it is away from the desk to allow breathing room for the fan, so I don't think it's related to that. Anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I failed to look closely at the screen to see what was needed because I can't stand the noise if I leave it up. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Emily_8,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your laptop is experiencing some sort of hardware issue, possibly related to its power supply or internal components. The loud beeping noise you described could be a BIOS beep code, indicating a problem with the hardware.

Here are a few steps you can take to try to diagnose and potentially resolve the issue.

• Check the power connection: Make sure the power cord is securely plugged into both the laptop and the power outlet. Ensure that there are no issues with the power adapter or cable.
  • Inspect for physical damage: Examine the laptop for any signs of physical damage, such as dents, cracks, or loose components. Pay particular attention to the area around the power connector and the keyboard.
  • Check for overheating: Even though you use a board to allow airflow, it's still possible that your laptop is overheating. Check if the fans are running properly and if there's any buildup of dust or debris that might be obstructing airflow.
  • Update drivers and BIOS: Sometimes, outdated drivers or BIOS firmware can cause hardware issues. Make sure your laptop's drivers and BIOS are up to date by visiting the HP support website and downloading the latest updates for your specific model.
  • Run hardware diagnostics: Most HP laptops come with built-in diagnostics tools that can help identify hardware problems. You can usually access these tools by pressing a specific key combination during startup (often F2 or F12). Run a comprehensive diagnostic test to check for any issues with the hardware components.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot the issue with your laptop and hopefully resolve the loud beeping noise and any underlying hardware issues.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.