Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP VH240a Display
macOS 12.0 Monterey

My MacBook Pro is suddenly not recognizing HP VH240a as an external monitor. I think it's either the monitor or the HDMI cable causing the problem. When the monitor comes out of sleep it says "HDMI inactive" even though I've checked and rechecked the connection tons of times. I've been using the HP VH240a with my MacBook Pro for two years with no problems. Ideas? 

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

A co-worker and I are both having the same problem with our HP Envy 27 monitors that worked just fine until a week ago. 

I think there have been past issues with HP monitors having a problem with Mac OS connections. I wonder if there may have bene a recent Mac software update that is causing a problem, but there's absolutely nothing helpful to be found on Mac forums. 

HP Recommended

Hi @voorbie and @PeterMcCollum 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I see that you are facing issues with your monitor. Do not worry, we are here to fix it.

May I know from when are you facing this issue?

Did you make any hardware or software-related changes to it?

Please try connecting your monitor to any other system and let me know the outcome of it.

Also, I would suggest you update the firmware of it and check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The problem is new within the last two weeks, but occurring on separate MacBook pro computers with separate HP Envy monitors that have worked fine for 2+ years previously. No hardware changes. Connecting either computer to an LG monitor works just fine.

We're not certain, but the problem seems to coincide with a recent Mac OS software update.

Checking/updating display firmware does not appear to be a possibility because, well, it's a Mac.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

I would suggest you update the drivers of the monitor and check if the issue persists. Here is a link that will help: https://support.hp.com/us-en/error?errorType=404&source=document&documentId=ish_2857204-2362249-16 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

This was literally not helpful in any way.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 1.32.45 PM.png

HP Recommended

I am really sorry about it. 

You may use the link here and enter the details to get the drivers page: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/laptops 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

This is also ineffective. And, yes, I'm completely sure the serial number is entered correctly.

Reminder: I am using a Mac computer, which does not use "drivers"

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 9.40.51 AM.png

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

Try unplugging the power chord of your HP monitor for 30 seconds and then try connecting it to check if the issue persists. 

Also, if you have connected any HDMI cord, please remove that while performing the step.

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this was also not successful. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.